Dr. Rhema
Dr. Rhema, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified FP with 28 years experience in caring for women.

sporadic vaginal bleeding 81 year old woman

My 81 year old mother has been having sporadic vaginal bleeding for 6 plus months. She's had an endometrial biopsy (negative) and a pap smear (negative). She also had a urinalysis done which was postive for a UTI; she was given antibiotics. My mom is incontinent and continues to have bleeding. Her doctors don't think that additional (ultra sound) tests are needed. Should any other tests be done or do some elderly women have vaginal bleeding for no reason?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Rhema replied 7 years ago.
Hello, kiwi - I am glad your mother had the endometrial biopsy, since that basically rules out the most serious cause of postmenopausal bleeding, endometrial cancer. The commonest causes of such bleeding are atrphy of the vagina and of the endometrial lining of the uterus, along with uterine polyps and fibroid tumors.
Atrphy is what happens when our hormones give out and the estrogen goes away. The tissues thin out and the blood vessels are closer to the surface, which becomes dry and irritated. There is often bleeding from the vaginal tissues which can be helped by hormone creams.
So I do not think any other tests are really needed unless your mother is obviously uncomfortable.
Good luck and I hope this helps.