Dr Patty
Dr Patty, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  OB/GYN 35 years of practice including teaching, pregnancy & GYN issues
13332852

Took the Plan B pill a little over 48 hours after intercourse,

Took the Plan B pill a little over 48 hours after intercourse, but the 2nd pill that is suppose to be taken 12 hours later...well completely forgot and didn't take it until quite a while longer then 12 hours. My question is will the Plan B still work for me not to get pregnant?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Patty replied 8 years ago.
Even though the literature for Plan B states to take it within 72 hours, recent research has shown that it is effective when used within 120 hours after unprotected sex. So if you used it within 120 hours you should be fine. Emergency contraception is about 85 percent effective in preventing pregnancy. It can cause period irregularities so if you do not get a regular period within a month of taking it, either pregnancy occurred or you have a hormonal imbalance. In this case you would need to make an appointment with your doctor to have blood drawn to check for pregnancy and a hormonal imbalance.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
So why does it say to take the second pill exactly 12 hours later? I took more like 22 hours later...thought that would screw things up?
Expert:  Dr Patty replied 8 years ago.

Product labeling for the brand Plan B states that about the dosing, but research has shown otherwise. You can read more about this at this site

http://ec.princeton.edu/questions/late.html