Alan Gibstein, M.D.
Alan Gibstein, M.D., OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Assistant Professor of OB/GYN with 40 years of experience treating patients. Fellow of The American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists.
12995549

I have a lump inside my vaginal canal, on the upper wall. It

Customer Question

I have a lump inside my vaginal canal, on the upper wall. It is just INside the vaginal canal, not in the vulva. It is walnut sized, and has ridges, it is fleshy and its surface feels like a walnut. It slightly protrudes outside the vagina, especially when I bear down. I have no bleeding, no abnormal discharge, and no foul odor. By the way, i know where my cervix is, and this is not it.

I have 2 children, age 6 and 3, both born vaginally.

Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Alan Gibstein, M.D. replied 5 years ago.
DearCustomer You will need to be seen by a gynecologist for the exact diagnosis but there are several possibilites. Incidentally, the vaginal skin in young women is quite ridged and folded like a walnut shell, but never hard like a nut. This could be a cyst of the Bartholin gland located just inside the introitus in the lower vagina with its duct opening into the lower labum majus. When that duct is obstructed it swells with fluid and is painful only when infected. It could be a vaginal cyst (Gartner`s) which can get quite large and protrude at the entrance. It could be a cyst on the cervix. Or it could be a polyp from repair of an obstetrical laceration at childbirth.So, you need to be examined. Good luck
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Just to clarify, the lump is not hard like a nut, it is more like fleshy and wrinkly, what i meant is that its surface has ridges like a walnut, kinda. It is not painful or sore. It also is large.

I thought the Bartholin gland is more to the sides, right? This is on the top of the vaginal wall, it looks like it protrudes when I bear down, and like it is sort of blocking the entrance.

Please help!

It is more likely, in that location to be a vaginal cyst,like Gartner`s but,again, you must be examined. The likelihood of tumor or even cancer is remote at your age. Finally, having delivered two children vaginally, this may be a dropping(prolapse)of the bladder (cystocoele) or of the uterus itself. Your gyn will be able to tell and make certain you are examined both supine and standing.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I will most definitley going to get examined, but since this is not going to happen for 2 weeks, and I am freaking out, I was hoping to know some pointers to show if this is cancer or not, is there some charertaristic to look for, some differentiating factor between cysts and cancer? I searched online a lot, and found nothing, so this will be really helpful

Isearched a lot online, and I know all the possilbe causes of vaginal lumps, gartner, barth. cysts, bladder prolapse, etc, what I am looking for is how to know if this is one of these things or cancer? The diagrams online all show cysts as smooth surface perfect circle growths, while the lump I have is wrinkly and looks like it is not perfectly smooth like the diagrams show,and it is inside the vaginal canal.

Appreciating your help

DearCustomer Without benefit of an examination it is not possible to be absolutely certain of my reassurances that this is not cancer. Cancers of the vaginal wall are extremely rare premenopausally and cancers of the cervix,which can occur at any age,are vey slow to develop, taking many years and would have shown previously in your Pap smears and cause irregular bloody discharge. Also, the skin of the vaginal wall on the sides and at the vault are quite rugous,not smooth as in the lower 1/3rd.Vaginal cysts are smooth only when they become large enough to stretch the over-lying skin. And finally, why wait two weeks,see any MD at least to give you some degree of reassurance. Good luck
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I went to see my gyn, he said the ridgy thing inside my vagina is just nothing, just my vaginal wall, I dont understand, how come when it almsot protrudes when I bear down? Also, he said I have a very slighlty prolapsed uterus, not to worry about.

He also said I have a mild infection, and gave me somethng for that.

Could my gyn have missed what I am talking about? How can anyone miss something that big and horrible?

The word prolapse means a downward displacement. This can happen in women in the uterus, bladder or rectum. But as with any hernia, will disappear, or nearly so, when you lie down. Many gynecologists are untrained or uncomfortable examining patients while they stand before them and bear down, but that is the only way to duplicate what the woman is feeling or seeing. A mild infection is unrelated to this.