Dr Heal
Dr Heal, Doctor
Experience:  B.A.M.S with 10 years of experience
11859556

My girlfriend has a strong vaginal odor. It is not fishy and

Customer Question

My girlfriend has a strong vaginal odor. It is not fishy and I can only smell it during intercourse but at that point is very strong. I have been reading up on this and it defintely does not sound like vaginosis then I found this - Rectovaginal fistula. She has had four kids one at 18 yrs old. The odor is defintely in line with a fecal odor rather than fishy and this is the only thing I have been able to find that states that type of odor. What can she do if anything to find out if this is the issue?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Heal replied 5 years ago.

DearCustomer

Does she have any urinary incontinence? How long has this been there? Any other physical disturbance or vaginal area inflammation?

with best regards,

Dr.Renjusha

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Been there forever (I have know her three years) to varying degrees. Once or twice hardly no odor. She has no urinary issues that I know of (and I would have heard), or inflammation, pain itching - nothing.

Expert:  Dr Heal replied 5 years ago.

DearCustomer

Usually if it were to be rectovaginal fistula and the odor been there for years its progression would have caused all the other symptoms listed by me. Surprises me though!!! How old is her last child?

with best regards,

Dr.Renjusha

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
17 years of age. I keep thinking is a simple case of poor hygiene. I did bring it up once and after many tears she said it has been there forever and that it is a fiarly comon issue. I tried mentioning duesching (not sure on the spelling -sorry) but she says it doesn't help but I don't think she ever does
Expert:  Dr Heal replied 5 years ago.

DearCustomer

Improper hygeine no doubt is a factor but would have led to conditions like Yeast infections / bacterial infections. Douching may not be needed now and is not supported in western medicine and is touted as best in classical traditional / Indian / Chinese medicines. The female vaginal tract is capable of maintaining cleanliness all by itself but gets affected when there is buildup and pH level rises.

Now to address her condition I would suggest approaching cause elimination theory. First cutting down on fatty foods particularly Cottage Cheese, Clarified butter, Margarine, deep fried food items is necessary. When there is improper fat digestion that also may lead to such odor in urine. drinking Cranberry Juice will help in maintaining the pH balance. Drinking good quantity of water helps flushing the vaginal tract which many a women dont do.

Taking vegetables like Cabbage, Raddish also contributes and hence best avoided as also tubers. Elephant yam is one which is an exception and as it helps in correcting vein health can be used.

Also application of Live Yoghurt in to the vagina using a tampon dipped in this yoghurt will help in increasing good bacteria. Ask her to try it. Even after all these natural methods the condition doesnot regress its ideal to seek further solutions.

with healthiest regards,

Dr.Renjusha

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

So I take it you don't think Rectovaginal fistula is the issue? Seems like douching is practiced here in the US as there is much in the way of advertising and many products available. Forgot to mention she hardly eats any vegatables.....

Expert:  Dr Heal replied 5 years ago.

DearCustomer

I dont subscribe to the line of thinking that she has Rectovaginal fistula.

Douching is practiced all over the world but I said is not validated by Western Medicine. Mankind has developed many a practices which were quite functional but has not been validated by the so called scientific basis. But in my opinion its best done under a supervision. Veggies are less prone to these sort of problems and that makes sense to be Veggie atleast after a particular age.

with best regards,

Dr.Renjusha