FamilyPhysician, Doctor
Experience:  Board certified Family Physician, 27 years experience in emergency medicine.

I have taken plan B within 24 hours after the condom broke,

Customer Question

I have taken plan B within 24 hours after the condom broke, I believe that I was ovulating the day the condom broke. How many chances there are that I will be pregnant? Will taking another dose of Plan B can make sure that there will be no pregnancy since sperm can live in female body for up to 7 days and I am not on Birth Control pills. Moreover, I did not have sex after that single incident. Thanks.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  FamilyPhysician replied 7 years ago.
Did you take the Plan B as directed?

Unfortunately you have logged off, so I will give an answer assuming that you took the Plan B as directed.

In studies on Plan B, the risk of pregnancy from a single episode of unprotected intercourse was reduced from 8% to about 1% with the proper use of Plan B.

It is NOT recommended to have more than one use of Plan B for any single episode of intercourse.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
But what about sperm staying inside body for up to 7 days and I am not on birth control pills. However, i have taken plan b as directed. And i am worried that the incident occured the same day i was ovulating. does that increase the chances of pregancy? I just want to avoid pregnancy. can 2nd dose of plan b avoid pregnancy according to the way plab b works because i am worried that plan b taken once will not avoid the connection between sperm and egg for 7 days because sperm can live up to seven days inside female body. And I don't want to be on regular birth control pills and most importantly I want to avoid pregnancy. Please help!
While I understand your concern, there is NO need to use another cycle of Plan B.

The earlier you take the Plan B, the lower the risk. The 1% risk included all patients including those that took the Plan B up to 72 years after unprotected intercourse.

The 1/2 life of the medication (the time that it takes for 1/2 of the dose to be eliminated from the body) is about 24 hours. For this reason - it has a prolonged duration of action. There are a number of different mechanisms of action including decreasing tubal transport.

You can contact your physician, however, the standard of care would be to NOT recommend another cycle of Plan B
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Out of 100 how many women can become pregnant who had unprotected sex during the ovulation phase? If Plan B take as directed within 24 hours, as most resources say that if plan b is taken within first 24 hours the chances of pregnancy is decreased by 95%. Is the percentage same for those who had unprotected sex during the ovulation phase?
The approproximate risk of pregnancy around ovulation is estimated at 20 - 25%. Since you took the Plan B within 24 hours - the chance of pregnancy reduction is as you report 95%.

When you calculate the approximate risk of pregnancy in your case - you would be about 1%

25% * (100 - 95%) = 1.25%
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks a lot. I have just 1 more question. Are you sure that just one dose of plan b can cut the chances of pregnancy by 98.75%, or do i need to take just 1 more pill of plan b as a precaution and back up plan since it contains same hormones that are used in regular birth control pills. I know it may not be necessary and have possible side effects but i want to make sure sperm does not reach egg as long as it is inside me. The idea of sperm can live in inside body for 5-7 days scares me. Please give me your opinion.
Based on published data and the official FDA approved prescribing information there is NO recommendation (or need) to take more than the recommended single pack of Plan B.