Alan Gibstein, M.D.
Alan Gibstein, M.D., OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Assistant Professor of OB/GYN with 40 years of experience treating patients. Fellow of The American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists.

What can cause extreme nipple sensitivity I have had this

What can cause extreme nipple sensitivity ? I have had this for 4 years with no help in sight. Have tried rx's, herbal remedies, acupuncture, had sonograms, mammo's, been to a breast surgeon, cancer specialist, neurologist, endochronologist, internist, etc. but have not had any relief. The sensitivity is so bad that I have been forced to wear plastic cups on my breasts 24/7 except when I shower. I do have a discharge (greenish-black) from one breast. Where can I go from here?
Dear junebguflower; The greenish-black discharge from the nipple is nearly classic for a condition called "duct-ectasia" which is a non-cancerous abnormality of the cells that line the ducts in and under the nipple. It is one of a group of over-active cellular activity conditions like papillomas.Many breast oncologists will just follow this condition,but I think you have moved into the category of those that should have those ducts excised because your symptoms demand it. Except for the discharge,duct ectasia is usually silent so the persistent itching suggests that there is enough proliferation of cells to warrant a biopsy. Good luck
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

You are the first doctor to actually provide a name for this condition!!! One more question; what type of doctor do I see for this? My regular ob/gyn has no idea what it is or what to do about it.

Is the procedure, having the ducts excised, painful???

You can ask for a referral either to a general surgeon with significant experience in breast surgery or a referral to a surgical oncologist,all of whom are trained in breast surgery. No, the excision will not be painful,it is a minor procedure and the recovery is quick with very few restrictions. You shold do well and be fine. good luck
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I can't thank you enough for your help and advice! Four years of suffering with this most uncomfortable sensitivity has been quite unpleasant. I hope this procedure will make it all go away!! Thank you again!