Dr Patty
Dr Patty, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  OB/GYN 35 years of practice including teaching, pregnancy & GYN issues
13332852

What is the likelihood of getting pregnant at the age of 47

What is the likelihood of getting pregnant at the age of 47? I am on the pill (and have been almost contiuously since of the age of 18) and want to go off.
The pill is 99% effective at preventing pregnancy, if no pills are missed. Getting pregnancy after going off the pill, would depend on if you ovulate or not. It does however take up to 3 months for cycles to return back to normal after stopping the pill. At that point the only way of knowing if you are ovulating or not is to have some blood drawn to check your hormone levels.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

No offense, but I know all that.

I guess what I'm asking for are statistics or probabilities. Do alot of 47 year old women get pregnant? How likely is it to get pregnant at 47? Incidently, I have been happily married for almost 22 years and our wonderful daughter is a freshman in college.

There are no published statistics, as when ovulation ceases is different person to person. Typically though this happens around age 50, though there are some women that continue to be fertile well into their 50s.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Again, you still haven't told me anything I don't know. You would not have made a good bookey (which probably means you're a good doctor). In your professional opinion what are the chances of getting pregnant at 47?
There is no way anyone or myself could give you the guess that you are looking for, as there is no way to know unless blood levels are checked to see where they are at. Your hormone levels are a good indication as to what your chances are which is a solid way to know.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Not a very satisfying answer, but I guess I have to accept it.

Thank you.