Alan Gibstein, M.D.
Alan Gibstein, M.D., OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Assistant Professor of OB/GYN with 40 years of experience treating patients. Fellow of The American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists.

I havent had my period in 3 months. I am starting to get worried.

Customer Question

I haven't had my period in 3 months. I am starting to get worried. I feel bloated, gassy, crampy - like my period only no bleeding, my acne has flared up with vengeance lately - again no period. I have taken many pregnancy tests and all are negative. First day of my last menstrual cycle was Sept. 4, 2008. My breasts feel heavier, but not sore. Diarrhoea, I feel hot all the time, but no temperature. My boyfriend will feel my forehead and say I feel fine, just cold and clammy when I feel like I am burning up. Again, no fever. I took one pregnancy blood test in the middle of Oct. and it was negative. The most recent pregnancy test was done a day or two before Thanksgiving, negative result. If you could tell me what is wrong with me that would be great. Thanks!
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Alan Gibstein, M.D. replied 5 years ago.
Dear Jeditesgirl; It is not surprising that at your age,skipping periods for this long would be uncomfortable. Since you didin`t mention that this has happened before,I assume this is the first time.Are your periods usually regular? Have you made any significant life-changes, like travel,weight gain or loss,unusual stress or worries? If not,then your period is late because of hormonal changes,probably from skipped ovulation. Do you have significant skin, body hair,or weight problems? If you have stopped ovulating which explains the negative pregnancy tests, then your hormones are all tipped toward the estrogen side which causes the cramps,staining,.bloating,breast swelling,etc.But you may have a condition called poly-cystic ovary syndrome which is an inherited hormone conversion abnormality which can cause all of your symptoms. BotXXXXX XXXXXne; you need to be seen by a gynecologist for exam,blood tests,possible sonogram to make the diagnosis and get you back on track. None of this is life-threatening so don`t be alarmed. Good luck
Alan Gibstein, M.D., OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience: Assistant Professor of OB/GYN with 40 years of experience treating patients. Fellow of The American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks :)

My periods are generally regular. I may skip one month here and there, but it is usually just one month that is skipped, not 3. Also, not when I have been sexually active on a regular basis. I havent had any life changes that you have mentioned. I am getting married, but that happened after Thanksgiving that he proposed. I am overweight, but I have been losing weight lately. Not drastically mind you, just one pound each week or so. It has been slow going. I have always had acne growing up. Took Acutane when I was 15 to help clear it when all else failed. I am on the hairy side. No idea why. I have hair on my arms -heavier then my sisters. I figure it is because I am of italian decent. It also is blonde so it doesnt look like a lot. I also have sideburns, like mutton chop style that I have to shave off. Bushy eyebrows as well that have to be plucked on a regular basis. Again, I figure it is because my mom is part italian.

When I was 9 I was diagnosed with PCOS. When I was 18 a doctor said I didnt have it. So no idea now. Can it fluctuate like that? When they did the test when I was 9 it said I had high testosterone levels. Can that change over time and switch to more estrogen? Thanks for your reply. You really took a load off my mind!!
Any testing done at age 9 is not reliable today and you should be seen to test not only testosterone levels,but also TSH,LH and FSH. I suspect you do have PCO since Italians are usually not much hairier than anyone else.. you`re just better cooks. PCO should be identified so that you can be advised about hormonal therapy to reverse all of your side-effects until you are ready to start a family. Finally at your visit, ask your Gyn about a drug called aldactone to inhibit hair growth while you go on hormone therapy. Good luck and congatulations on the marriage.