Anthony Bray MD
Anthony Bray MD, Doctor
Experience:  Trained in obstetrical care and routine gynecology. 14 years experience as a family physician.
13781349

have a very strong ammonia odor from my vagial area even after

have a very strong ammonia odor from my vagial area even after i shower/douche i shower sometime 3x's Qd and still have this odor been tested no UTI no sex for 2yr now divorce on depo shot tubes tied for 9yrs now no period now for 8yr d/t depo last pap was last yr and neg 0 pelvic pain 0 N/V 0 fever 0 pain just contiouse lower back pain had for yrs only thing on urine test was crystal any ideas?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Anthony Bray MD replied 7 years ago.
Hello! First of all I recommend that you stop douching. The reason for this is that all you are likely doing is changing the bacteria population around and this may actually be the source of the problem and not the solution. The vaginal area is always going to carry micro-organisms no matter what this is just a fact of life. Under normal circumstances the vaginal tissue, its mucous and its normal bacterial population stay in a normal harmless healthy balance. When you are overly aggressive with the douching it may kill the normal bacteria and lead to a shift to different bacteria which might not be so harmless. The normal vaginal bacteria species or a predominate one is lactobacillus. Harmful bacteria that might cause an infection may include gardnerella among many other species. I would suggest that you first simply stop douching, maybe also eat yogurt and wait 1 to 2 weeks to see if the odor improves,. If not see your doctor and get a pelvic exam where you can be tested for bacterial vaginosis,trichomonas and other possible problems. Good Luck, Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

thank you i have only douched maybe three times in four monhs and two of them are warm H2O douches 2nd have had test for trichomonas bacterial vaginosis and all other std when i divorced d/t my divorce also Hiv I was pos for Hpv virus 11yrs ago and had a pos pap test and had a few cells fozen and all paps have been neg since have been eatting yogurt for aprox month now d/t diet changes for wt loss had jus quit smoking 6 month ago again no discharge and have not been sexually active since divorce 2yr ago, this is so hard i take a shower go to the gym and 30min into my workout i can smell myself forget about the theigh machine only if noone is around and i am a nurse so the 16 hr shifts suck for me if u can imagin. test r neg can u think of anything else please

kathy

Hello again! Sorry, I got the impression that you douched frequently, I'm not sure why I got that impression. It sounds that you've done everything quite appropriately. One possibilty that I wonder about is that you may have an unually sensitive sense of smell. I realize that this is not the answer you are seeking, I'm just thinking here... How long has it been that you were checked for BV? It sounds suspicious for that as a possibilty except that you have been checked for it and you notice no discharge. Do you take any meds or supplements?. Exactly how long has the odor thing been a problem?. These details might help out.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

odor for aprox 6 month maybe but getting worse meaning from faint/occ to strong/cont

medications

mvi

vit C-E

ca +D

Asa 81 QD

prozac 20mg QD

phentermine 37.5 QD

topramax 50mg bid (new) started two months ago

i do have H/A almost everyday and even with the topramax was going to call PCP and increase it d/t remaining H/A, i also have continouse neck and back of the head pain i due believe this is d/t stress through, also insomnia very bad again d/t stress and swing shifts with work any ideas thank you kathy

Hello again! One thing you may try is to dip a tampon and insert this for a limited priod of time. This may more reliably introduce the lactobacillus into the vagina to balance things. I found a reference for a clinical trial for this very problem using a water flushing/douching protocol. The web site for this study is http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00417365 You might not be interested in being a guinea pig but the trial is specifically addressing the issue of vaginal odor in the abscence of discharge and all routine tests negative. Good Luck Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
dip it in what? H20? thanks again for all your help i promise i will accept after this i promise kathy

Hi again!

Sorry about the typo; dip the tampon in yogurt and then insert it for a short while. This should definitely lead to the harmless colonozation of Lactobacillus. Hopefully this will help.

Good Luck, anthony Bray MD