Dr Heal
Dr Heal, Doctor
Experience:  B.A.M.S with 10 years of experience
11859556

Is it normal to have a pocket of fluid behind your cervix

Is it normal to have a pocket of fluid behind your cervix? I recently had an ultrasound of my ovaries internally and externally. The tech noted a pocket of fluid behind my cervix along with cysts on both ovaries.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Heal replied 5 years ago.

DearCustomer

Looking to your symptoms and the findings in the scan I suspect that it is the presence of Nebothian cyst which is causing the pain and that is what the doctor felt during examination.

The cervical canal is lined by glandular cells that normally secrete mucus. These endocervical glands can become covered by squamous epithelium in a process called metaplasia.

These nests of glandular cells (nabothian glands) on the cervix may become filled with secretions. As secretions accumulate, a smooth, rounded lump may form just under the surface of the cervix and become large enough to be seen or felt upon examination.

Each cyst appears as a small, white, pimple-like elevation. They can occur singly or in groups, and they are not a threat to health. The cysts are more common in women of reproductive age, especially those who have already had children. Usually there are no observable symptoms.

Pelvic examination reveals a small, smooth, rounded lump (or collection of lumps) on the surface of the cervix. Rarely, a colposcopic examination is necessary to distinguish nabothian cysts from other types of cervical lesions.

For this no treatment is necessary. However, nabothian cysts do not spontaneously clear. They can be easily cured through electrocautery or Cryotherapy. Both procedures can be done in your doctor's office.

with best regards,

Dr.Renjusha

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
and the pocket of fluid, which to me appeared to be about half the size of my full badder at the time, would be caused by what do you feel?
Expert:  Dr Heal replied 5 years ago.

DearCustomer

Yes. In my opinion and observations Yes. dont get unnecessarily worked up on this as i am sure you are going to get the best support from your doctor and she would come with her observations. You can mention about this view of mine too. Good luck and Take care.

with best regards,

Dr.Renjusha

Dr Heal, Doctor
Experience: B.A.M.S with 10 years of experience