Dr .Saha
Dr .Saha, Doctor
Experience:  30 years experience as doctor

I get itchy vaginal symptoms after my period, this is happened

I get itchy vaginal symptoms after my period, this is happened twice in a row and now again. The first time I thought it was a yeast infection, I used Monistat 7 and the itching stopped. The second time the itching came back and I went through the same process as the first time. Now, I started itching again. What can be the reasons as to why this is happening? and what do I need to do to take care of it?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr .Saha replied 5 years ago.

Do you have any discharge ?

Is there any smell?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, the second time there was light discharge, more white than off white. There was a very light smell but only lasted for a little while.
Expert:  Dr .Saha replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for the information,

The cause of your problem may not be yeast infection alone.

It can be due to a mixed infection with bacteria.

Bacterial infection usually causes smell.

Disharge can be present with both , the color will vary.

For bacterial infection antibiotics will be needed.

You should have a check up by doctor to have the diagnosis & prescription.

I hope this information will help.

Please ask if you need any clarification.

Best wishes.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi?

Yes, what other bacterial infections are there besides yest infections?
Expert:  Dr .Saha replied 5 years ago.
This is usually due to the bacteria called Gardnerella vaginalis , found in vagina. In some conditions there may be overgrowth of them.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So in the meantime 'till I am able to see the doctor, is it ok to use Monistat 7 in order to aliviate the itching? or is there something else I can use instead until I get checked out and get medication?
Expert:  Dr .Saha replied 5 years ago.
You can continue monistat , for treatment of bacterial vaginosis no otc preparations are available.
Dr .Saha, Doctor
Experience: 30 years experience as doctor