Dr. Saul
Dr. Saul, Doctor
Experience:  I am a board certified, practicing obstetrician gynecologist with many years of clinical experience.

i have a small lump on my inner labia, left side just slightly

i have a small lump on my inner labia, left side just slightly lower than my clitoris, that i just noticed yesterday - it is not painful, feels a bit hard, and can move under the skin - should i be worried?

Thank you so much for your question. It is my privilege to be able to help you.

There are many possible reasons for a bump like you describe. Most possibilities are minor problems and will generally resolve on their own with time.

These include labial cysts (occur when a duct in a skin gland gets clogged), infected hair follicles, inclusion cysts (another type of skin cyst),or other things.

They can also be a sexually transmitted infection like herpes or a wart.

If it persists, grows, or becomes very painful, you should see your doctor. If it goes away on its' own, you really don;t need to worry about it. You can try warm soaks 2-3 times a day to see if that helps, as it will often help it go away faster.

I hope you find this helpful. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask me. If you are satisfied, please remember to ACCEPT the answer so that I get credit for my work. BONUSES and positive feedback are always appreciated. Good Luck! Dr. SaulJE

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your response. In terms of lumps or cysts like this that go away on their own - approximately how long would something like this take to clear up? When i first noticed the bump, i thought it was herpes, though looking this and genetial warts up online, i don't think this is the case - i have one lump that doesnt have any other accompanying bumps or red spots, no itching or burning, no swollen glands, etc. Also, as i first mentioned, the lump is is bit hardish, and doenst seem tobe a blister of any sort.

I think this might be a cyst that occured when a duct in a skin gland gets clogged - one thing i didn't mention is taht yesterday, a few hours prior to me noticing the lump, my partner and i had sex and i ejaculated for the first time - could this lump be a result of that?

Please let me know - i am wondering how long something like this might take to clear up - i mean, how long would 'persist' be for something like this? 1 week? 2 weeks? Please advise!

I think that you are right about your assumption. It sounds like a labial cyst. they usually get better in a few days, but if it takes a little linger, as long as it is not painful or growing, you don;'t need to worry about it. It may be related to having sex, as the glands around your vagina release mucous when stimulated, and one of them might have gotten a little irritated which caused it to get clogged. Warm soaks help open the ducts and let it drain, and may help you get rid of the cyst. Dr. SaulJE