Dr. Saul
Dr. Saul, Doctor
Experience:  I am a board certified, practicing obstetrician gynecologist with many years of clinical experience.
2652662

I have abdominal pain and cramping and just had my period even

Customer Question

I have abdominal pain and cramping and just had my period even though I am on the pill and was in my 2nd week of my pack (i take them back to back). I also had night sweats and felt feverish this morning and at time throughout the day. A visit to my gyno was inconclusive - they tested urine and did vaginal ultrasound. There was some fluid in my uterus and so far the urine came back ok. I'm still extremely uncomfortable with the abdominal pain... should I have had a blood test? She thought it may be my organs contracting because they are basically confused with the period while on the pill etc and the feverish feeling is really hot flashes due to hormones. This doesn't seem right to me... So i"m surfing the net trying to get educated to see if this sounds right. Thank You!
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Saul replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for your question. It is my privilege to be able to help you.

Have you ever had anything like this before? How long have you been on the pills for? Are you taking the pills every day? Please answer these questions, I would love to help you. Dr. SaulJE

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I have been on the pills since June, I have a 2 year old and had problems with the first pill I went on after having him so I went off it last summer until going back on this past June (just skin breakout problems - nothing like this prior). I do take the pills everyday - the only time I missed was 2 weeks ago Sunday so I took 2 monday. I got my period this last Sunday-Sat. Longer and heavier period than I normally have, Do you think the pills and abdominal pain are related? I had been on the pill for many years before having kids - and the 4 years in between my kids. I've always taken them continuoisly (as t onot have as many periods) and never had this happen before.
Expert:  Dr. Saul replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for the additional information. Your problem is a bit puzzling, so in order to answer the problem, let's try to take it apart piece by piece. Maybe we can figure out what's going on.

1. You had a period early, even though you are on the pill. This is unusual, if you are taking the pills every day like you describe, but it can be caused by several things. Sometimes medications or illness can cause you to break through the pills. Or it could be polyps or infections.

2. You felt feverish and had night sweats. These would commonly be caused by a flu or some other viral illness. They can be hormonal, but I can't imagine what hormonal cause would just pop up one day to a young woman on birth control pills. Especially since you've been on pills before and did not have hot flashes then.

3. Abdominal pain. This could be due to many things, but could also be a result of some sort of stomach virus. It can be a gynecologic cause as well, but your ultrasound didn't show any ovarian cysts, an as far as we know, there is no reason to suspect that you had any gynecologic infection.

So far my best guess is that you had some sort of virus which caused everything, and it has nothing to do with your pills or uterus. sometimes when your sick you can have some breakthrough bleeding.

Tell me if you think this might fit your symptoms.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I did have a cold that started 2 weeks ago and lasted until last weekend, At the end of the cold I had a bit of a stomach bug as well (diarreah). I did tell my doctor about it as it was part of the whole story of why I didn't notice I had my period right away (I noticed blood and thought it was in my stool - I have had that happen before with a gastro virus). I didn't mention it since it was over email and I was trying to be brief, and as my doctor today didn't seem to link them together. However my stomach, diarerah (sorry for bad spelling) and cold have been better for over a week. Could they still be related?
Expert:  Dr. Saul replied 8 years ago.
I guess anything could be, but I doubt that it was related if it was already gone for a week. It may have been a new illness. Dr. SaulJE
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
So what would you recommend? Should I see a regular doctor - is there anything they could do my gyno didn't to clear this up? The abdomen pain is very uncomfortable so I'd like it gone! Or is there anyway to even diagnose beyond a virus? Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. Saul replied 8 years ago.
I wish I could advise you, but not having done an exam, I can't tell you how serious it is. In general, if you are in such pain that you are unable to tolerate food or fluids, or the pain is so sveere that you cannot function, or if you have a fever higher than 100.4, or if the symtpoms persist beyond 48 hours without signs of relief, you should see your doctor. At that point, you should see your family doctor. Dr. SaulJE