Susan IVy
Susan IVy, Nurse
Experience:  RN, BSN, MSN with 25+ years of experience
8413180

Do I have to go to a gynecologist to get a birth control prescription

Customer Question

Do I have to go to a gynecologist to get a birth control prescription? Or may I get it from my family doctor? Also, may I alter my cycle so that it is at a different time of the month? I am getting married on January 18 and that is usually when my period occurs.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Susan IVy replied 8 years ago.

Hello yeahyeah,

Thank you for using Justanswer for your question.

It depends on your family doctor. If you have never had a gynecological exam, they may prefer you see a gynecologist.

Another option is to go to a clinic such as planned parent hood. They can prescribe birth control pills to you as well.

It is possible to alter you cycle to a different time, and this is often done for a honeymoon or vacation. Please ask your prescriber on what regimen would be best for you to do this.

If you have more questions, please reply.

Susan

Susan IVy, Nurse
Experience: RN, BSN, MSN with 25+ years of experience
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I have been to a gynecologist before, so hopefully I can bypass this step with my family doctor. I'm also seeking this as a possible acne medication. Do you have any recommended oral contrceptive that is best for both of these (contraception and acne prevention)?
Expert:  Dr. Pfeiffer replied 8 years ago.
Customer

Susan wanted me to let you know she sees your question, but is unable to answer it. The reason is your question was initially submitted under the 'health' category. After your question was answered by Susan, someone realized it was a 'women's health' question and sent it to the 'women's health' category. For some reason she is not able to answer it.

Anyway, to answer your question -

most birth control pills do help with acne.

The best pills currently available for acne are Yaz and Yasmin, which contain the progesterone drospirenone. This medicine reduces androgens, which helps with acne.

Dr. Pfeiffer