Dr. Pfeiffer
Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
Experience:  Ob/Gyn Doctor
8534737

I am a 50 year old woman, with very heavy bleeding (and large

I am a 50 year old woman, with very heavy bleeding (and large clots) I have been given options of either ablation or a hysterectomy, but my doctor is pushing the ablation. Which is the best?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Pfeiffer replied 8 years ago.
Customer

as long as cancer has been ruled out, which I assume it has given your history of a D&C, an endometrial ablation is a short & non-invasive procedure that carries about a 97% satisfaction rate. Given your proximity to menopause I suppose your doctor is just bridging the gap by pushing the ablation. It is a nice procedure, but there is a chance of around 10% that it will fail and you'll have to undergo another procedure such as a hysterectomy. Another alternative would be the Mirena IUD, which also has an indication for menorrhagia.

http://www.novasure.com/irregular-period/novasure-endometrial-ablation.cfm

Dr. Pfeiffer