Dr. Saul
Dr. Saul, Doctor
Experience:  I am a board certified, practicing obstetrician gynecologist with many years of clinical experience.

after giving birth 4 months ago my period has not come back

after giving birth 4 months ago my period has not come back yet (never had regular period to begin with) but now my long beautiful hair is falling out ,alot, and i have headaches, i'm 28 and i'm scared
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Saul replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for your question. It is my privilege to be able to help you.

First of all, please do not be concerned about the hair falling out. During pregnancy, many women grow a thicker fuller head of hair, because the cycles of hair growth are changed by the pregnancy hormones. Usually, several months after having a baby, these cycles get reset back to normal, and many women experience a period of hair loss. It will recover soon, and you will get back your beautiful hair.

As far as the period is concerned. If you are breastfeeding, it is very common to not have a period for a while, even six months or even a year or so as long as you are breastfeeding.

If you are not breastfeeding, then your periods will usually return to normal around 6-8 weeks after the delivery or after you stopped breastfeeding (if you did breastfeed for a little bit). It will usually return to what is normal for you, so if you occasionally skipped months and had irregular periods before, the same pattern will probably return.

You should also consider the possibility of pregnancy. if you are not using birth control and have been having unprotected sex, you should consider the possibility that you are pregnant again.

I hope you find this helpful. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask me. If you are satisfied, please remember to ACCEPT the answer so that I get credit for my work. BONUSES and positive feedback are always appreciated. Good Luck! Dr. SaulJE

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
thanks for your reply but due to my choice i have not had sex yet (just not ready), so im 110% sure im not pregnant, this seems a little vain me talking about hair but my hair has never been thin and its been falling out so noticeably that its thining just over the space of a couple weeks please help im so worried and scared to even run my hands through my hair ( this is my second child and no hairloss accured the first time and i now every pregnancy is different but i even thought it may be stress but its sooo much coming out
Expert:  Dr. Saul replied 8 years ago.

It is not vain to be concerned about your hair. Anyone would be worried if their hair was falling out. (unless of course you are ME, as mine was doomed to fall out because my Dad, his Dad and every other Dad in my family has lost their hair by age 30! :-)

Seriously speaking though, please be reassured that this truly is normal, I know what I am talking about,. I've seen it numerous times with my own patients. It will grow back like it was before pregnancy, just hang in there. Dr. SaulJE

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
your very prompt with your answer and its appreciated but this last question when answered should make me feel calmer, i experience slight swealing in my fingers especially after waking up and headaches throughout the day plus the hair coming out in clumps, what else can be the cause apart from after giving birth being the reason (your time is appreciated)
Expert:  Dr. Saul replied 8 years ago.

I doubt that these problems are related. There are numerous possible causes for hair loss. However, in a 28 year old woman who just had a baby, I wouldn't even consider other possibilities unless months went by without any improvement. The old adage goes, "common things happen commonly", or the famous, "if you hear hoofbeats in Kentucky, it's probably horses, not zebras!" (just for the record if you want to know everything that you could possibly need to know about hair loss, check out this link from my favorite medical information site, the Mayo Clinic: )

Finger swelling and headaches are seperate issues that we could deal with at length if you would like to, but I think they would be considered seperate questions and we would have to devote a new discussion to these problems. I could tell you that I am not aware of any postpartum conditions that happen four months after delivery that include these symptoms. I would recommend that you see your primary care doctor about them if they persist. Dr. SaulJE