Dr. Saul
Dr. Saul, Doctor
Experience:  I am a board certified, practicing obstetrician gynecologist with many years of clinical experience.

I need to know what to use to totally eliminate all vaginal

Customer Question

I need to know what to use to totally eliminate all vaginal odor. I am going to have a very intense personal trainer. My nose is super sensitive and so is his. I can smell the condom my husband used last night when I get sweaty, even after a shower. I cannot bear the thought that my trainer could also smell it. Help!
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  doctor_charles replied 5 years ago.

Hi

Is there any vaginal discharge?

Vaginal itching?

Are your periods regular?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi!

No unusual discharge. No itching. No periods b/c post menopausal.

Although you have no discharge or itching,but still this can be due to yeast or it can be bacterial vaginosis.

Other then infections following can cause vaginal odor:genetics, age, hormonal status and balance, diet, exercise, hygiene and the menstrual cycle.If you are using a vaginal douche with perfumes, it could be irritating your vaginal lining; this irritation, in turn, could cause the odor.What u eat and poor higeine causes body odor. the cupits can be garlic and onion.

The best home remedy (most effective, cheapest, safest) is to put plain yogurt into your vagina. You can just push it in with your finger or use a vaginal cream applicator

If you sweat lot then use cotton underwear.Putting some in once a week and right after your period provides dramatical result.Changing your tampon frequently when you are menstruating is obviously important.Washing with a non-scented soap is also one of the home remedies for vaginal odor that brings relief.

Regards

Dr.Charles.

Please click green ACCEPT BUTTON so I can be paid for assisting you. BONUS and Positive Feedback are always greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

You obviously did not really pay attention to my information.

I do not have issues with bacterial odors.

I need to get rid of the CONDOM ODOR!!! I can SMELL it! I don't want my exercise trainer to also SMELL the CONDOM odor when we are in an intense workout. We both have very sensitive noses.

I am post-menopausal so nothing about periods and tampons is useful.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Doctor Charles....

Please actually answer the question I have asked or I will respectfully XXXXX XXXXX you opt out and let me get a different answer.

Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Saul replied 5 years ago.

DearCustomer

I have read your exchange with Dr Charles, and I see that he has opted out of this question. I will try my best to answer your question, but first please allow me to say what seems to me to be unusual. I am not sure what kind of condom your husband uses, but if it has a special scent or flavor, I presume you have tried to switch to a non-scented condom.

Most condoms do not have a scent that is significant, especially one which lasts into the next day. Has your personal trainer told you that he smells a condom smell? My suspicion is that you may be worried that he will smell it, but he actually does not smell anything.

It is also possible that what you are smelling is semen, and not a condom. This is possible if you have a sensitive nose as you describe. This is difficult to eradicate, but a vinegar/water douche has been used for centuries, and seems to work. However, douching often this way can cause bacterial vaginosis.

Please forgive me if I have to ask you the most obvious question, please understand that I do not in any way mean to question you obvious concern. Why does it matter if your trainer smells the condom? I am really confused, but you're a married woman, it seems like you and your trainer should be concentrating on your exercise. There are so many smells in the gym, I don't see why it should make a difference if there might be a tiny whiff of condom scent on one of the patrons of the gym. Please forgive, I really want to help you, it just seems like there is truly something else that is really bothering you, and I feel like you are not saying what it is.

Please feel free to tell me if there is any way that I can be of further help to you, I would love to help you, Dr. SaulJE

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Holy Smokes! You people are probably really nice and wonderful and caring but by golly, you have a tough time answering a direct question.

Once again. Condom odor in vagina. Any way to eliminate it?

(FYI... no gym, no other patrons, no other gym odors, absolutely not your concern whether we should be concentrating on exercise or the price of tea in China. And gee whiz... let me check... oh yeah! I CAN tell the difference between the scent of semen and the odor of a condom.)

Expert:  Dr. Saul replied 5 years ago.
I am sorry, you are right about it not being my business what you are concentrating on. I apologize for that comment. I really do want to help you. I have never dealt with this problem before, and I must have had thousands of patients in my career that have used condoms before. But that doesn't necessarily mean that it is impossible. I did mention vinegar douche as a possible remedy, just be careful not to do that too often because it may cause vaginal irritation if used too often. Every couple of days though will probably not harm you. Take Care and good luck! Dr. SaulJE
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I am not happy with these answers.

I feel that the question was skirted and addressed without focus.

I would have been happier with "No, there is nothing you can do about that."

Instead, I got a bunch of hemming and hawing and pulling in factors that I specifically excluded or that were inappropriate personal opinions.

I accept the apology offered by Dr. SaulJE but the final answer involved WAAAY too much work on my part.

Please refund my deposit.

Thank you.