Dr. Saul
Dr. Saul, Doctor
Experience:  I am a board certified, practicing obstetrician gynecologist with many years of clinical experience.
2652662

My wif has a very inflamed clitoris. It is swollen and sore.

My wife has a very inflamed clitoris. It is swollen and sore. There has been no sexual contact for over a week, and this just started two days ago. Last week she had a bout of diarrhea and GI "flu", but this didn't start until two days ago. Is there any thing she can use to help? We are due to go on a cruise tomorrow.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Saul replied 5 years ago.

Thank you so much for your question. It is my privilege to be able to help you.

There are many things that can cause an inflamed clitoris. the most common is due to trauma from stimulation, especially if it was injured and might have gotten infected. It can also happen if it is irritated by sexually transmitted infections, or sometimes it can be a varicosity (a swollen vein in the area of the clitoris.

Unfortunately, in order to have it properly treated, she needs to see a doctor for a proper diagnosis. It may be infected, in which case she will need antibiotics. She should keep the area clean, use anti-inflammatories for now, but she should see her doctor as soon as possible. I understand that you are going on a cruise tomorrow, so maybe you will need to find an urgent care center in your area. I know these things can happen at the most inconvenient moments, but unfortunately, I don't think that you have a choice.

I hope you find this helpful. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask me. If you are satisfied, please remember to ACCEPT the answer so that I get credit for my work. BONUSES and positive feedback are always appreciated. Good Luck! Dr. SaulJE

Dr. Saul, Doctor
Experience: I am a board certified, practicing obstetrician gynecologist with many years of clinical experience.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you so much Dr. Saul. You have been a big help. I really hope we can get this cleared up as she is miserable. thanks again.Customer
Expert:  Dr. Saul replied 5 years ago.
You are very welcome, I hope she feels better soon. Dr. SaulJE
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Dr. Saul,

Would Zithromycin help? I am a nurse anesthetist, and have a prescription at my pharmacy for a Z-Pack.
Customer
Expert:  Dr. Saul replied 5 years ago.
Azithromycin might help, but it is not the best antibiotic for a skin infection. I strognly urge you not to try to treat this yourself. Although it may be convenient, she needs a proper diagnosis, as inconvenient as it may be the day before you guys have to leave. Just think what you would feel like if things got worse while you were at sea. Good Luck! Dr. SaulJE
Dr. Saul, Doctor