Dr.Jason,MD-OB/GYN
Dr.Jason,MD-OB/GYN, OB/GYN
Experience:  Board Certified OB/GYN, Primary Care MD, 12 years exp. Also specialize in STD testing, Infertility
10583076

Can you get pregnant 3 days after your period ends

Customer Question

Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr.Jason,MD-OB/GYN replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

I would be very happy to assist you.

If your period has just ended, then yes it is possible for you to become pregnant. It is often hard to know exactly when one is ovulating. Ovulation usually occurs around 2 weeks after your cycle ends, however, not always, and pregnancy IS an option. If you are not wanting to become pregnant then yes, 3 days after your cycle, protection should be worn. If you are having pregnancy symptoms such as tender breasts, nausea, moodiness, bloating, more frequent urination, and cravings, you may wish to schedule an appointment right away. Home pregnancy tests are not very accurate in early pregnancy and may not be able to detect the pregnancy hormone HCG. For a home pregnancy test, it is a good idea to wait for 2 weeks after a missed period to get a proper result, and sometimes not then. The best way to know for sure is to schedule an appointment with yor ob/gyn. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX wishes!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
so you can get pregnant 3 days after your period ends then
Yes it is possible to get pregnant 3 days after your period has ended. Thank you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
when will i find out if i am
If you make a doctors appointment, you can find out right away . They will draw blood, and it is a very simple test to detect pregnancy. Home pregnancy tests are not accurate in early stages. If you just recently had the unprotected sex, it may take a little while for symptoms such as sore breasts to show up. All women are different however. If you think you may be pregnant, please call your doctor today. Thank you!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
so if i had unprotected sex on the 31st of auguest thats the 3rd day that my period ended when do i conceive

At this point , I cannot tell you exactly when conception may have happened, due to sperm being able to survive for a few days inside your body. However, conception generally occurs around 2 weeks after the first day of your Last period. This is just a generalized guide, all women are different. You would need an ultrasound to determine exactly how far along you are, and determine conception better. Conception depends on if you are ovulating, and as stated before , you may not always know exactly when you are ovulating. I would also need to know the first day of your last period to help determine when conception may have occured.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
auguest 25 is when i started

Are you periods always regular?

How many days are your cycles?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes and i dont know

Ok this is tricky.

The days you should have been ovulating , and conception most likely to occur in a 28 day cycle would be on September 6, - September 8. If your cycles are always the same, and you are always completely regular, then pregnancy is probably not as likely. As stated before, it can happen, but this would mean that you were ovulating sooner than normal. If you were ovulating sooner than normal, you would also likely have a tendency to have abnormal periods as well. There are things such as diet , exercise, weight problems, as well as hormonal imbalances, stress and illness etc., that may affect your cycles, and when ovulation is possible. There is not a way to pin point Exactly when ovulation will or has occurred. Furthermore, sperm can live in your body a few days, so it is still possible that you could conceive on Sept 6., a highly likely ovulation date for you according to your Last Menstrual Period. Just because you had sex on one day does not mean that is the day you conceived. I know this can all be very confusing , so please feel free to consult me with any further questions. Thank you

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

so i have to have sex on september 6 to get pregnant

September 6-8 would be very likely days that you would be ovulating. This is based on a 28 day cycle for you. Yes if you have sex on the 6th, and are not currently pregnant, the chances would be increased, because this is when you should be ovulating if your body is normal, and cycles are normal. But still, you can get pregnant at other times as well.

Remember, you may already be pregnant, it is not uncommon to be ovulating earlier than usual. Also, something else to keep in mind, is if your last period was normal. If it seemed lighter than usual, or didn't las as long, then it is possible that it wasn't an actual period, and it was something called implantation bleeding. Implantation bleeding occurs when the fertilized egg implants itself into the lining of the uterus.This is common in early pregnancy, and often mistaken for a period. If you have any pregnancy symptoms, this should be considered. Thank you

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

how long do you bleed for

Implantation bleeding varies. It is usually never as long as a normal period. Some women report one day , while others 2-3. It is usually lighter, and may be pinkish, or brown. Mild cramping may be invloved too, but not as bad as the cramping from a regular cycle.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
see i had a regular period it lasted for 7 days but when i had incrouse on the 31st of auguest i started to bleed it was pinkish and then it stopped the next day could it be a sign of implantion
Yes that could very possibly be a sign of implantation bleeding. Still at this point a home test is too early. You can find out earlier if you go to the doctor and request a blood test
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

so im pregnant then right

This does not mean anything for sure. Yes you very well could be pregnant, but you need to Keep in mind however that it is possible that this was just a shorter period. This happens to many women sometimes for reasons that are simple such as diet, illness, hormones, etc. I cannot say for sure one way or another without testing you myself.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

impantion can happen after i have sex

Yes implantation bleeding can happen at any time after you have had unprotected sex, and become pregnant.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thats what happen to me and i dont want to go to the doctor yet
I would wait until you are supposed to have your next period. If you miss it, then it is time for a doctors visit. If you have it, then the strange symptoms or periods were likely hormone related. Remember at this point, a home test will not work good, and be accurate. You need to wait for a home test until 1-2 weeks after a missed period. If it says negative, and you still have symptoms, then it is still possible you are pregnant, and the HCG hormone isn't present yet. HCG is the hormone in your body that detects pregnancy. I wish you the best! Have a great day!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
but when will i start my period again
If your cycles are normal, then you should be starting 28 days from the date you had your Last normal Menstrual cycle.