Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MD (Obst&Gynecology)

I have this pulsating feeling in my vagina after having cystitus.i

I have this pulsating feeling in my vagina after having cystitus.i have been on anti biotics for 4 months, I have used canestern for thrush bought on by the anti bios can you please help ?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar replied 5 years ago.
Pamela,

A pulsating feeling in the vagina can occur due to engorgement of the blood vessels in that area. it is usually a result of an infection. it will decrease after the infection is cured.

It is likely that the canestan has not really helped in controlling the thrush. Please consult an Obgyn for a prescription strength anti-yeast medicine.

You can also take ibuprofen, available OTC, 200mg thrice daily for at least 5 days. This will decrease the inflammation of the vaginal tissues to some extent and decrease the pulsating feeling.

I hope this helps.

Let me know if you need more input. If not, please click on the green"Accept" button on this page. A positive rating and adding a bonus will be warmly appreciated.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I am taking 2 ibuprofen and 2 paracetamol every 4 hrs and a antihistamine which seems to help, but at the end of the 4 hrs it starts up again. It is a very uncomfortable throbbing sensation and is driving me up the wall, the doctors do not seem to know what it is. It all started when I was ill in bed for 2 weeks in bed with gastric flu 4 months ago, I just have started using the canestern AF cream 3 days ago and it has helped with the soreness, but not with the sensation.

Many thanks

Pam

Pam,

I am afraid that you will just have to wait until the infection goes down - the throbbing of the engorged blood vessels will decrease simultaneously with the inflammation.

Besides the canestan, you need to also start taking at least 200mg of yogurt daily to help growth of healthy lactobacilli in the vagina and maintain the ph of the vagina.

You can also use a warm hip bath bath to decrease the inflammation. Sit in a tub of warm water to which you have added 2 capfuls of Betadine solution, available OTC, for at least 10 minutes twice a day. This will help to soothe the vaginal area and also decrease any added bacterial infection that you may have in the area.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I had the pulsating feeling before I had the thrush it is not inside it feels like the lips area.

I hope this throws a bit more light on it for you, I know it is not the thrush thats making it feel like it.

Many Thanks

Pam

Pam,

Are you sure it is throbbing or pulsating feeling and not a vibration - like the vibration of a cell-phone?

If it is a vibration, the sensation occurs when the muscles in that region undergo minor contractions called fasciculations - rather like the tic of an eye.

Fasciculations in the genital area usually occurs when the nerve carrying sensation from that area is pinched or affected in any way. Infection of the nerve for example by herpes can also cause the sensation.

The nerve supply to the groin comes from various nerves all of which originate from nerve fibres from the lower spinal cord. A spinal cord herniation or degeneration of the spinal bones is often associated with vibration of the muscles of the groin.

In your case, the vibration could be due to a vitamin B deficiency caused by the long term antibiotic use.

Slow stretching exercises as well as taking multivitamin supplements containing Vitamin B1, B6 and B12 helps.

Please consult a neurologist and ask for an MRI of the spinal cord as well as to be tested for herpes.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

It is impossible for me to have herpes I have no sores and no other symptoms. I have been married for 30 years with one partner! I still have the pulsating and I think the thrush is on its way out, do u think the antibiotics I have taken for so long is the cause? I will take the vitamins and bath in bitadine hoping that I can get this in England. Is there any other advice yoy could give me? Thanks.

It si not necessarily herpes which could be causing the vibration. Anything that affects the nerves to the genital region could be the cause - for example, pressure over the nerve fibres at the level of the spine or in its path to the labia, diabetic neuropathy, vitamin B deficiency, any inflammatory condition of the nerve etc.

You need to be examined by a doctor with specific focus on the nerves to find out the exact cause.
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience: MD (Obst&Gynecology)