Dr. Saul
Dr. Saul, Doctor
Experience:  I am a board certified, practicing obstetrician gynecologist with many years of clinical experience.

I have a hard white bump on my labia, what could it be

I have a hard white bump on my labia, what could it be?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Saul replied 8 years ago.

Thank you so much for your question. It is my privilege to be able to help you.

There are many possible causes for bumps on the labia, most of which are benign at your age and not very serious. However, you should still get it checked out by your doctor to make sure it is nothing serious.

Some common causes are inclusion cysts (blocked skin glands that cause a small round bump), Bartholin's gland cysts (a cyst formed in the Bartholin's gland which is in the labia and produces mucous), folliculitis (infected hair follicles), warts, herpes, and many other possible causes.

If you try warm soaks a few times a day and it goes away on its own, you probably don't have anything to worry about. However, if it is painful, if it doesn't go away, if it starts to get red and swollen, if pus and foul discharge come out, or anything worrisome, you should see your doctor to be evaluated.

I hope you find this helpful. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask me. If you are satisfied, please remember to ACCEPT the answer so that I get credit for my work. BONUSES and positive feedback are always appreciated. Good Luck! Dr. SaulJE