Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MS. Deal with women related all surgical problems including genito-urinary and breast surgery.

I am getting a vibrating sensation in my lower abdomen which

I am getting a vibrating sensation in my lower abdomen which lasts 5-10 seconds and continues throughout the day
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 8 years ago.

Since when is this? Is it continuous or intermittent? Is it aggravated by any posture like sitting or standing or abate by lying? Do you have any backache or history of injury / accident of back? Are you on any medications?

Do you have any discharge, constipation / diarrhea, bloating distension?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

It started about 3 months ago. it is intermittent. not aggravated by posture. sometimes there is bloating.

I do suffer from lower backache (for many years)

I am on a beta blocker

The intermittent tingling in lower abdomen needs to be looked for the following causes;

1) The area is supplied by the dorsal or thoracic spine (middle portion of the back). Any pinched nerve because of the bone spur or degenerative disc disease can be responsible for this.

2) Deficiency of vitamin B 12 is another cause which can produce the symptoms.

3) If the diabetic profile like glycosylated hemoglobin and glucose tolerance tests have not been performed, they should be done as diabetic neuropathy is another reason to be ruled out.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
what is diabetic neuropathy? The area also feels asif been kicked in the stomach

The high blood sugar in diabetics cause nerve damage in long duration, which is termed as diabetic neuropathy and can cause tingling or vibration sensations.

The kicking sensations too can be caused by the pinched nerves in the back.

Dr. Arun