Dr. Pfeiffer
Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
Experience:  Ob/Gyn Doctor

Last month my period came on about 5 days early and Im usually

Last month my period came on about 5 days early and I'm usually regular give or take no more than a day. It was like a regular period with the cramps but it only lasted two days and usually it lasts four. Well it came back on the 1st and it was real light but lasted until the 5th. I went in the bathroom today and I now have light pink spotting when i wipe no cramps although I have been having more bathroom trips the last couple weeks but I thought maybe it was b/c I am at home a lot more lately and I just hadn't noticed how much I go. What could be the problem? I am not on birth control. I did have sex a couple times around the middle of last month."
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Pfeiffer replied 8 years ago.

there are lots of things that can cause this to happen. Obviously, pregnancy is a big one. The abnormal period you had last month could represent implantation bleeding and the spotting you're having now could be related to pregnancy. The home pregnancy isn't truly reliable until 10-14 days after a missed period. So if you took those 2 before this time frame, you should wait and retest. Other things that can cause the abnormal bleeding is stress, weight changes, hormonal imbalance, medicines, infection, fibroids, polyps....etc, there are a bunch. Generally, if this is a transient thing that resolves on its own there is nothing to worry about. If it continues, gets worse, or the pregnancy test is positive you should see your doctor.

Dr. Pfeiffer

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

So if the bleeding I had on the 2nd thru 5th was not period my period was supposed to come on the 8th that means I am already a week late and i took the hpt test yesterday and this morning so how long should i wait to take another and if I go get a blood test would they be able to detect it now?

wait another 5 days and retest with first morning urine.

yes, a blood test will detect pregnancy now if you are willing to see your doctor.

Dr. Pfeiffer