Dr. German
Dr. German, Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor

Ovarian cyst with a 11.8 white blood count

I was diagnosed with an ovarian cyst a few days ago, It is 5 cm. I am on birth control so I'm not really sure why I got the cyst in the first place. I had an irregular period a couple months ago (2 periods) in one month, and was also wondering if that was when my cyst started? Is it normal to have an elevated white blood cell count with a cyst? Also, I elected to have laparoscopic surgery to remove the cyst since I am going away soon, and was wondering if this was a simple procedure and if there were any complications? Thank you so much for your help
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. German replied 8 years ago.

Hi,Customer Although You are on Birth Control Pills , You can still develop Ovarian Cysts .

In many cases, Ovarian cysts do not produce any symptoms and are only detected during an Ultrasound .

However ,in other cases , Ovarian Cysts can produce some symptoms like Menstrual Irregularities or irregular periods , vaginal bleeding , abdominal swelling or pain .

It is not possible to determine the exact time when the cyst developed or started .

The elevated white blood cell count should be evaluated by an Internal Medicine or Hematologist Specialist .

This elevated white blood cell count could be caused by :

an infection

a bone marrow proliferative disorder

medication side effects

anxiety or stress

autoimmune disorders in which your immune cells that normally defend the body against infections ,begin to attack your own body cells .

The hematologist will need to perform additional tests including : C - reactive Protein ,ESR rate ,bone marrow sample to determine what is producing this elevated white blood cell count to give you the appropriate treatment .

The laparascopic surgery is a procedure done with local or general anesthesia .

The surgeon will insert the laparoscope through an incision done below your navel ,with this instrument , the surgeon will be able to see the cyst .

The doctor will perform 1 or 2 additional incisions to insert the instruments to remove the cyst .

You will experience some pain or discomfort for 3-4 days .

The complications that women can experience after this procedure are : infection,bleeding, pain ,blood clots and women can also experience difficulty to get pregnant in the future .

If you like the answer, please click accept . A bonus will always be sincerely XXXXX XXXXX