Dr. Saul
Dr. Saul, Doctor
Experience:  I am a board certified, practicing obstetrician gynecologist with many years of clinical experience.

2-3 days after period ended I had foul smelling, brown ...

Customer Question

2-3 days after period ended I had foul smelling, brown watery discharge. I douched after this, which I never do, to help clear out the old blood. I was pretty sure that was the source of the smell. I seemed fine no odor no brown. Few days later during sex the foul smell was back along with brown watery discharge. Now I am concerned of some sort of infection. About 6 wks ago I had major back surgery. They entered through my stomache and back. They of course literally had to move all my internal stuff around. I still dont feel quit the same from that. I have a history of period problems and am scheduled for a hysterectomy in a couple months. Something else I noticed with both times, which seemed very unusual and one may have nothing to do with the other. Best way to describe this is what I would call a throw up burp. Both times started right after my vagina was distrubed and having these problems, and last for a couples hours afterwards. I am scheduling an apt Monday,my doc stays booked.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Saul replied 8 years ago.
Thank you so much for your question. It is my privilege to be able to help you.

It sounds like your going through quite a bit these last few months! And you're getting a hysterectomy soon! I hope that everything works out for you and you can get back to normal life after you recover from all of your treatments and surgeries.

As far as the odor and the brownish discharge, the most likely cause is Bacterial Vaginosis (BV). BV is caused by an overgrowth of certain types of bacteria that are native to the vagina. Things that change the vaginal environment can cause it, and if you had antibiotics or other medications during the surgery that you had, that may have been the cause.

At first when you mentioned that it happened right after your period, I thought that it must be just old blood from your period, but when you said that it happened a few days later again after sex, I think it is probably BV.

Your doctor can treat it with antibiotics, either by mouth or a vaginal gel. Both metronidazole and clindamycin can work.

It is also possible that it is a sexually transmitted infection, if you think that may be possible. Your doctor can do cultures to rule this out. However, I think that BV is most likely.

I don’t know what to tell you about the burp that you described, but it sounds like reflux. This can also get worse when your body has just been stressed by a surgery. You should try Tums or Maalox, and if it doesn’t get better with that, speak to your doctor about possibly getting a prescription for it.

I hope you find this helpful. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask me. If you are satisfied, please remember to ACCEPT the answer so that I get credit for my work. BONUSES and positive feedback are always appreciated. Good Luck! Dr. SaulJE
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you. Just reading this is a relief. So I will call as planned to schedule an appt with my gyno to check everything out. Especially since I will be having 2 minor surgeries in about 2 weeks that fall between the last & hysterectomy. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Saul replied 8 years ago.
You are very welcome, I hope everything works out for you. Dr. SaulJE