Dr. Pfeiffer
Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
Experience:  Ob/Gyn Doctor

Im 33 weeks pregnant and struggling to quit smoking pot. I ...

Customer Question

Im 33 weeks pregnant and struggling to quit smoking pot. I am now coming up on the due date and freaking out that my newborn will be drug tested and taken away at the time of delivery. I live in Tennessee and would like to know your thoughts. Thank you.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Pfeiffer replied 8 years ago.

your concerns are well grounded. When a baby is born and there is evidence of drug use, the urine and first stool (meconium) is test for drugs of abuse. If this testing returns positive it may lead to a significant hassle for you. The idea, really, for all of us that do this on a daily basis - 'is this baby going to be taken to a suitable environment?' As you can imagine, most of use think that an environment where drugs are being used is not. You need to stop smoking. Rearrange your priorities and put your baby first. I know this will not be easy, but you have to do it!

Good Luck,

Dr. Pfeiffer

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
OK so are you saying every baby is tested? The reason I ask is I do not look like your typical smoker...not to stereotype but I am a very straight and level headed person. I have a great career and know the dangers of smoking while pregnant. That being said I know I have a probloem b/c I told myself I would quit at 3 Im 8! I do love my child and know she is in a great hands. So again back to my TN does EVERY baby get tested? Thanks.

babies are tested when reasonable suspicion exists. Not all babies are tested. If you have had a positive drug screen during your pregnancy, there is a good chance your baby will be tested.

Dr. Pfeiffer