Dr. Saul
Dr. Saul, Doctor
Experience:  I am a board certified, practicing obstetrician gynecologist with many years of clinical experience.

I get cramp down the front of my shin sometimes at ...

I get cramp down the front of my shin sometimes at night.   It is acutely painful, and I have to hold a hot flannel to my leg, and massage my foot and shin vigourously to shift the pain.   It sometimes takes several minutes, and during that time, I cannot flex my ankle at all.   What causes this, and can I do anything about it?   It seems to be associated with white wine, but only if I have more than one glass, or don''t drink a glass of water afterwards.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Saul replied 8 years ago.
Thank you so much for your question. It is my privilege to be able to help you.

The front of the shin is not a usual place for cramps (most people have cramps in the back on the shin), and massage and warm compresses are the appropriate treatment for cramps. It sounds like you are doing the right thing. One thing often recommended to prevent cramps s stretching exercises during the day. It seems that when one does exercises that stretch and work the muscles, they seem to cramp less at night. You may want to try doing this.

If the pain persists, you may want to see your primary care doctor to make sure that what you have is indeed cramps and not something else, like an injury, or a blood clot.

I hope this was helpful. If you were satisfied please remember to ACCEPT the answer. Bonuses and positive feedback are always welcome. If you have any more questions, please feel free to respond to this answer. Good Luck! Dr. SaulJE