Dr. Saul
Dr. Saul, Doctor
Experience:  I am a board certified, practicing obstetrician gynecologist with many years of clinical experience.
2652662

My Mirena coil has moved through my uterus and is now in my ...

Customer Question

My Mirena coil has moved through my uterus and is now in my abdominal cavity (up near my left hip). I feel intermittent discomfort and sharp pains. How long is it safe for it to be there? What damage can it do inside me? And how likely is it to move around? I''m very worried that the op to remove it won''t be until Aug 28th.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Saul replied 8 years ago.
Thank you so much for your question. It is my privilege to be able to help you.

The mirena is very small and it is highly unlikely that it will cause any damage to your abdominal organs. This is a known possible complication of the IUD and there are very few reported cases of bowel damage. I would not worry too much that the surgery is in a while. The main thing we are worried about is development of scar tissue around the IUD. It is not known if there is a specific amount of time that it could be inside, although there have been reports of it being inside for years without any serious consequence.

I hope this was helpful to you. If you were satisfied, please remember to ACCEPT the answer. If you have any more questions, please feel free to respond to this answer. Good Luck! Dr. SaulJE