Dr. Pfeiffer
Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
Experience:  Ob/Gyn Doctor

My vulva is very red, itchy, and inflammed. Its been ...

My vulva is very red, itchy, and inflammed. It''s been going on for 5 months now. I''ve been tested for gon. and syph. but come back negative. I was diagnosed with BV, the medicine I took for the BV helped my situation but it never cured it. I have no bumps or rashes. Its not a yeast infestion. What could it be?

the unfortunate part of your symptoms is that itching is the most common complaint for nearly all vulvar problems. Itching may lead to inflammation and redness, however fungal infections also produce all of these symptoms. Don't confuse a fungal infection with a vaginal yeast infection as they are not the same.

While it's impossible for me to make a diagnosis online I can off some suggestions that may help you while you wait to get into see your doctor.

first things first. keep the area dry at all times. do not wash excessively or aggressively. warm water with mild or no soap, but again keep the area clean and dry. avoid feminine sprays and powders. wear cotton underwear and loose clothing during the day. wear a night gown without underwear to bed. The point is to promote air flow. Yeasts like warm most environments. If you think of it like that, you just do the opposite. These simple things will help most mild to moderate vulvar skin problems. You may consider a trial of OTC antifungal medicine per the package instructions. Any of them will work (ie. lamasil). In women, fungal infections of this nature are most commonly harbored by fungal infection of the feet or make sure you wash your hands thoroughly after touching your feet. If there is a fungal infection on your feet or nails, it should be treated.

Again, this is some basics for you to try, but you should definitely follow up with your doctor with such a long lasting problem.

Dr. Pfeiffer

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Pfeiffer's Post: Thank you for replying. One quick question. When the vulvar area is red,the actual vagina opening becomes red. The opening doesn't itch or anything but it does become red

I'm sure it's related. Give the above a shot and hopefully you'll see improvement.

Dr. Pfeiffer

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I have been reading online. Is it possible that I could have another std other than the ones I was already tested for? For instance, I read Herpes could have the same symptoms. However, I don't have any bumps or ulcers. Also my condition has been lasting for months (ongoing)

seemingly unusual presentation for Herpes. Might be something rare like lichen planus.

If you haven't done so already, consider consulting your doctor for a biopsy if conservative management thus far has not produced results.

Dr. Pfeiffer