FutureMidwife
FutureMidwife,
1598903

What could cause my vagina opening to be white?

My vagina opening is white. Is this normal? It's supposed to be pink.

The inner labia can vary in color from pink to brownish black depending on the color of a woman's skin.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.

It is not my labia, it is the opening of my vagina, I thought it was supposed to pink. I just did self-exam and noticed it looked irritated.

Opening of the vagina also can vary in color from pink to brownish black depending to the skin color of women. If it is pink, it can turn to red with irritation or any color combination between red and brownish black depending to the color of the women's skin.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.

So if it is not pink or brown does that mean there is something wrong. Because it is white and I don't remember it looking like that the last time checked.

You may have a yeast infection. Yeast causes the vagina and vulvar opening to be white. This is also the cause of your irritation. If you have had one before, it is okay to self-medicate. If not, make an appointment with your OB/GYN to get some tests to make sure it is a yeast infection and nothing STD related.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.

Okay. One more question, if it was an STD, which one would it be because I have no symptoms of a yeast infection as I had these before.

Let me ask you a few questions before I answer this last one.

Have you had any pelvic pain or lower back pain?
When was the last time you have been checked by a OB/GYN for your yearly pap smear?
Is your vaginal area very irritated?
Do you have any bumps either on the outer skin or inner skin leading up to your cervix?

Customer: replied 10 years ago.

A little lower back pain but it’s going away. I run a lot. I don't feel like it is irritated. I just looked down there because I had sex about three weeks ago and used a condom and I a tend to freak out a bit and wanted to make sure everything was okay. I just went to the gynecologist 5 months ago and everything was fine. There are no bumps that I can see. I know the vagina is not smooth skin cause of the sebaceous glands and stuff. It looks normal, just white.

Since you have not experienced this before, I do still recommend seeing your gyn. It may be a yeast infection that has started showing other symptoms yet. Vaginal skin isn't supposed to be white. If you experience back pain, it may be something more internal such as pelvic inflammatory disease.   It is always a good idea to get checked out if you see something that you didn't see before. It will put your mind at ease and also nip anything in the bud before it has a chance to get out of control.
FutureMidwife,
Experience: 

Inner labias are located at the entrance of the vagina, their color also reflects the color of the vagina. The color of the vagina of a white woman can be either white or pink. The vagina sometimes also can be covered with a tiny layer of a yeast which can be normal. If there is a discharge like cottage cheese and with mild smell that suggest an infection. Women at the same time complains of itching and burning during urination with the yeast infection. So, at the present time you are not symptomatic other than white color at the beginning of the vagina. It is hard to tell what it is because of the limitations of the Internet. I suggest to you to see a Gynecologist for an evaluation. Does not look like an STD and also does not look like a yeast infection.