eidnil
eidnil, Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Healthcare Expert Familiar with OB/GYN, Medication knowledge.
163146

What can cause fluid within the uterus?

Customer Question

What are some of the causes of fluid within the uterus? I have abdominal pain following an ovarian cystectomy. Went to Dr. had a ultrasound which showed fluid in my uterus. I had a tubal 15 years ago. Besides pregnancy what are the other causes of fluid in the uterus?

Category: OB GYN
Expert:  eidnil replied 8 years ago.

Some fluid can be normal, depending upon where you are at in your cycle. I have seen woman have a bit more fluid after having an endometrial ablation done.

However without further testing, the fluid could be anywhere from clear fluid, fluid consisted of blood or even pus.

I know you have the pain and if I recall, you had some cramping and unusual bleeding as well. One thing that does come to mind is what's known as adenomyosis, which can produce fluid in the wall of the uterus. You can read more on this here. Click here

You may however have to further investigate to confirm what the fluid is and go from there.

Hope this helps Hun.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Yes, I am still having pain despite the cyst removal. My ultrasound after surgery shows three more ovarian cyst (functional) not too big and this fluid in my uterus. The Dr. told me that if I had come to her wanting a baby she would have took one look at my ultrasound and said I was pregnant. Although we both think that is highly unlikely. She did have a pregnancy test ordered. But, just two weeks ago before my surgery I had a pregnancy test just as precaution and it was negative. So it is like I said highly unlikely. So I was just really curious if the pregnancy test is indeed negative what else could it be?

Expert:  eidnil replied 8 years ago.

When is the last time you had your period? Was the flow normal?

It's very possible that since you are producing these cysts, especially since there are more than one. Your uterus may be producing high levels of hormones, causing the fluid. Another possibility is a blighted ovum, which happens when a fertilized egg attachés itself to the uterine wall, but the embryo does not develop. It should only take a day or two to get the results back on the blood test. If you are producing high levels or hormones, this can explain the cysts and the fluid. But I still think you should find out what the fluid exactly is, especially if the test does in fact come back Neg- as once you find out what the fluid is, then your doctor should have a clearer picture of what is going on, as you can't just assume it's amniotic fluid.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

What would they do to find out what the fluid is?

Expert:  eidnil replied 8 years ago.

Keep in mind I haven't seen the ultra sound nor seen the reading of the ultra sound either.

But there could be a thin, hollow tube that is inserted into the vagina and through the cervix, needle (such as what they do when one has an amniocentesis. But this does depend upon how much actual fluid is being indicated etc.

I don't know if they also did a full blood work up checking blood counts etc, as this can indicate if there are any type of infections occurring as well. I would be very curious in seeing the radiologists report on the ultra sound.

Otherwise, I think this is going to be a step by step in determining course of action. Did your doctor say what her next step is, especially if the hCG test comes back Neg-?

eidnil, Healthcare Expert
Experience: Healthcare Expert Familiar with OB/GYN, Medication knowledge.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I am not sure what the next step will be other than she does want me to start taking birth control to see if it will help with the cyst. I will write again after I go back. Thank you input. I am also thinking along the lines of a possible infection. Because I did have a fever and chills on day three after surgery. totally unexplained.. One full day of fever and chills then the next day I was fine except pain.

Expert:  eidnil replied 8 years ago.

The birth control can help a lot of woman. However, it can also do the opposite as well. I couldn't take the pill, as it caused the cyst to become larger and stay vs bursting. So do beware of any cramping and/or pain you do get.

Either way, do keep me posted and I do hope all works out well.

Best of luck Hun.