Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

2004 nissan maxima was pulling left. had tires rotated and

2004 nissan maxima was pulling left. had tires rotated and front end aligned. Tech took car for a drive and it was still pulling left. he switched front tires right to left.he took it for another drive and was still pulling left, went into a u turn and came out it was pulling to the right and still is.
JA: How old are the tires? And have they been a problem in the past?
Customer: no wear on tires on still are good. I do not know how old they are as we bought the car used from in laws. We checked the front end and ever thing is tight. I do hear a slight popping sound when I hit a bump in road.
JA: Are you fixing your Maxima yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: mo no

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Does the car only pull on acceleration? If you are driving down the road and coast and take your hands off the wheel does it drift?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
it was drifting left before and now drifting to the right as you coast
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
did you get my response?

1 sec

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
ok

Ok.. So it goes right now.. Has tire pressures been checked?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.

The car can pull to the left if you are under acceleration. That is called Torque Steer. You get that on all Front Wheel Drive vehicles. The way to check the alignment is to find a nice flat road and I normally put the car into neutral and center the wheel and see how long I can coast to determine if the alignment is off...

Now.. You do have what they call Road Crown. All roads are pitched for water run off. So you want to check this on multiple roads. If you find this is the same no mater where you are, then I would return back to where you had the alignment done and have them recheck the alignment for you.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
i have done all of the above. Any ideas about what it could be?

Well, you want to of course to check lower control arm bushings to make sure there is no play. If the rear control arm bushes are torn that can certainly affect the alignment

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
is that the smaller bar coming to the right front wheel. When we had it up on the rack, we heard a slight popping noise coming from there when wheel was fully turned.

No, that is the sway bar. That won't cause any type of alignment issue, but can cause a noise if the outer sway bar links are bad or the mounting bushings.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
where are the control arm usings located at

There is one on the right and one on the left. They mount to the body of the car and go out to the knuckle which holds the wheel.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I think this is the problem. what is the best way to check this to see if they are worn out

you need to measure it's deflection. That is the amount of movement the control arm makes.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
thank you!

Your welcome and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Don't forget to Rate me if your Satisfied with my help. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service

Thanks Jay!