Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles
45790705

When I start the engine, a CVT light flashes on then off.

Customer Question

when I start the engine, a CVT light flashes on then off.
JA: Just to clarify, can you tell me which light it is? And does it blink first, then stay on steady?
Customer: the light is to the left of the steering wheel, underneath the gas gauge. It only flashes on when I initially start the engine.
JA: What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: 2005 Murano
JA: Are you fixing your Murano yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: We took it to O'Reilly's to have the diagnostics read, and the catalytic converter was what was the only thing that showed up on the printout, along with a list of thein things that could become problems because of it
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yesterday, the car died on me in traffic. The service engine light has been on and off several times since I bought it in March. My husband drilled holes in the converter to relieve the pressure, thinking the clogged converter was the issue
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 14 days ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
awesome, thanks

Hey how are you

The reason no fault coming up other then the catalytic converter is because the Diagnostic scanner they have at Oreily s CAN ONLY READ ENGINE FAULT CODE,NOT TRANSMISSION FAULT CODES , THAT IS THE CVT SYSTEM.it is not capable of communicating with the module we need to read in the car

WHAT YOU NEED A IS FACTORY SCANNER OR Equivalent AND Retrieve FAULT CODES FROM CVT MODULE TO KNOW WHY ,OTHER THAN THAT IT WILL BE A GUESS.if you do get them you can post them back here for me and i can help you further on it and be accurate

DRILLING HOLES,WAS A BAD IDEA, I M SORRY TO SAY THAT ,CAUSE THAT WILL CAUSE ENGINE PERFORMANCE ISSUES, IS THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON ALSO AT THIS TIME

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
the engine light came on yesterday, when the car died. It was on for about 2 weeks before, and I got the oil changed. When I reset the display for the mileage on the maintenance screen, the service engine light went off. yesterday is the first time I've seen it since then.

Where you experiencing slippage on transmission shifting ?

how many miles on it now ?

how does it drive now , no power or reduced power ?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I have had engine performance issues off and on since March. Haven't experienced transmission issues, yet. It has 178,000+ miles. It will drive now, but won't RPM over 3, and the "died" in traffic yesterday was a complete loss of power on acceleration, then it acted like it was out of gas, when we tried to start it. After towing it home, my husband turned the key and it started. when he drove it around the block, he said there was very little power to the engine.

ok i see

well it might be just cat related but can you get me the fault code # retrieved for the catalytic converters at oreilys ?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
sorry, as usual. papers get moved & no one knows what happened
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 13 days ago.

no problem

get it scanned again and let me know , most likely based on mileage and catalytic fault codes, it will have reduced power , most likley you need exhaust replacement

especially if there was no priior issue with transmission, the reason why the cvt fault showing up because the car is not able to breath from cats being clogged which will make not able to shift correctly and throws the car in limp mode ,where there enough power to get it ti shop,in other words the car computer preventing the car from going full power to prevent further damage

You are very welcome :)

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May Receive my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Apreciatted

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

If You Are Using A Free Trial Or Have A Subscription A Positive Rating Of 3 Stars Or Above Is Required For Me To Be Compensated

For My Time & Resources .

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You
Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
my husband spoke with one of the local muffler shops who says there are 3 converters, and they cost $400 a piece because the have to be special converters that meet California specifications.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I bought a manual from Autozone, and found 3 Oxygen sensors, but not converters. I still don't know what CVT means, and if the light is a service light or just a light to acknowledge that what ever the CVT is engaged or working

Get me that fault code and i can tell you more , i will be guessing with out it

let me kniw

CVT means : Continuous Variable Transmission )

\Please let me know if you need anything else

Thank You

Chad Farhat