Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
2921078

My sons Nissan 2004 Titan will occasionally not start when

Hi, my sons Nissan 2004 Titan will occasionally not start when he turns the key, then a second, third, forth or fifth time, it'll start just fine. Most times it starts right away, but sometimes he has to go through this routine of turning the key multiple times.
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: his key is very old and he never tried turning the steering wheel. He can try using his back up key I guess.
JA: Are you fixing your Titan yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: he has it at a mechanic now but they can't duplicate it. He has to drive home from college in a few days so I was hoping he could get it fixed but he won't be able to if they cannot get it to mess up.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: not that I can think of, thanks.

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and respond with the assistance you need!

Does he get a click noise with each turn of the key when this is happening to him and then it finally starts?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
he gets one click each time, then it doesn't start.

That is normally a starter problem. It's difficult to reproduce when it's not happening and also difficult for the shop to want to go out on a limb and replace it. I know its the starter warning you that it's failing and suggest having it replaced before it leaves him stranded. That's when we normally replace them.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings.
Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
the mechanic said the battery and starter and electrical look strong. That's what I thought too, so now I am at a loss.

The starter will look great....unless it has a problem. That's the problem with trying to diagnose a faulty starter, when it works it works perfectly, it's when it doesn't work that it can be diagnosed. That the issue for the shop, they don't want to replace it unless it's acting up for them. It's a sign of a good shop

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Right, they had very great reviews and I was impressed when I spoke with them. They know he's in a pickle since he has a long drive in a few days. I may tell him to fill up the tank and not stop until he gets home so he never turns it off :)

nothing wrong with that if he can pull it off!! I have been in the shops shoes, hate to sell something to the customer unless we can be 100% sure it's the problem. Then feel crappy when it comes in on the hook and needs the starter. Pretty sure that's where you are now. It's likely going to need one sooner then later.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
okay thank you. They said they'll keep it and keep trying to get it to not start right away, so maybe we'll have an answer later today or they can keep it overnight. Good to know it's most likely the starter so we are prepared.

You're very welcome!
Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Also, please remember to rate my answer using one of the star icons at the top of the page.
Thanks so much!