Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

I have a low growling sound that can be heard inside the

Customer Question

I have a low growling sound that can be heard inside the passenger compartment, but no really from the outside. It sounds like it coming from the rear of the engine. What could this be?
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?
Customer: 105,000 miles, Auto trans.... Timing chain changed 10,000 miles ago It kind of sounds like an exhaust leak, but you can't really hear it from the outside of the car.
JA: What is the model of your '10 Nissan?
Customer: 2004 quest
JA: Are you fixing your Quest yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Haven't tried yet.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: not that I can think of.
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 10 days ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for this question.

Does it only make this noise when the vehicle is moving? or can it make this noise if you are at idle?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
both
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
while in park or in gear
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
while in park, neutral or drive.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
like, i mentioned you can hear from inside car ,but not outside....even if you open hood and stick your head under hood to look around.
Expert:  Jay replied 10 days ago.

When it comes to noises, it can be hard to determine with out hearing them. I would start with checking engine mounts. When they break, they can cause a vibration which can transmit through the firewall and sound like rumbling noise. It's something that if you put the car in gear and keeping your foot on the brake pedal and just lightly reving the engine up and letting it come down would make the noise come and go. Also the passenger side front engine mount can do the same thing.

Check to see if it does what I just explained?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I will try that this morning and get back to you. I at looking at this car to purchase. Timing chain,,water pump alternator have all been changed recently. Has 150,000 miles, but bidy and interior are immaculate.Do I test it by holding brake in both drive and reverse? Are these mounts expensive to replace, if that's the problem.Also, when I test drove it, and stepped on.the gas pedal and release, I wasn't getting any bumping sounds. you can kind of feel a vibration no matter whether it in park or moving. engine itself seems to be real smooth.I will do the test you have suggested, and get back to you.
Expert:  Jay replied 10 days ago.

The rear mount is more in labor that would cost, verses the right side engine mount. So the rear engine mount is about 4 to 5 hours labor, where the right side mount is around 1 1/2 to 2 hours labor.

Expert:  Jay replied 10 days ago.

But I would see if the guy would let you take it to have it checked. So this way I would pay to have this checked. This way you know what is making this noise and they can do a full inspection on the vehicle so this way there is no surprises.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
wow, those engine mounts are some work, if that's the problem.
Expert:  Jay replied 10 days ago.

could be