Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

Car will not start. just replaced battery in intelligent key

Customer Question

car will not start. just replaced battery in intelligent key fob. yellow key light flashes as well as red car light
JA: Have you double-checked to make sure the positive and negative signs are lined up correctly?
Customer: ??
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: positive/ negative signs in the fob?
JA: What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: 2009
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: had battery replaced at batteries plus. cleaned ground post on battery.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: how to get my car started! mom in hospital.
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 17 days ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Do you have a Yellow key light on in the dash when you try to start it? Also do you know if the steering wheel is locked?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Yellow key light flashes. Red car light flashes. Steering not locked. Brakes stiff when pressing to start car. Nothing happens. Battery is good. Ground post removed and cleaned. Interior lights work, door locks work, headlights work.
Expert:  Jay replied 17 days ago.

If the steering wheel is not locked, and the yellow key light is on, your issue is the Steering lock control unit.

How handy are you? I have a trick we can try to get the car running. But it will eventually need to be replaced..

Let me know..

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
My brother is here and can help
Expert:  Jay replied 17 days ago.

That is a video I made. I know it jumps around a little, but you get the idea on what you need to do. Locate the steering lock control unit under the drivers side dash and tap it with a hammer while pressing the brake pedal and pressing the start button.

Expert:  Jay replied 17 days ago.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Is there a remote key slot on a 2009 cube as shown in the video?
Expert:  Jay replied 17 days ago.

I don't recall it having a remote slot. I think it's the kind that you hold the remote over the start button.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
No luck. Tried what the video showed. Still won't start.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
My 2009 cube has 120000 miles on it. Is this warranted if it needs replaced?
Expert:  Jay replied 17 days ago.

That works most of the time. If it didn't work, it will need to be replaced at your expense I am afraid.