Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Vehicle immobilizer preventing me from starting my xterra c,

Customer Question

Vehicle immobilizer preventing me from starting my xterra c
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: yes
JA: What year is your Xterra?
Customer: 2001
JA: Are you fixing your Xterra yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Well my car alarm went off and my door locks are broke so I couldn't turn my alarm off so I unplugged my battery
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: And now I can't get my car to start cause the security system has immobilized it
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you

you will need a factory scanner or equivalent to run a diagnostic scan & retrieve fault codes from the alarm module in the vehicle.
is it the module, the receiver, hood switch , door switch, wiring etc.. , it could be number of reasons & there is not a fuse or a relay that you can pull out to disconnect it unfortunately

But lets try Manual reset it in case it was a glitch , make sure there is a 12 volt on the battery

Master reset Procedure

1- Disconect Battery Cables ( Negative & Positive Cables )you can use any electrical wire as an extension if battery cables don't reach .

2- Hold cables Together for 60 secs ,then let go

3- Wait 15 minutes

4- Make sure all doors are closed

5- Reconnect battery Cables

6- Lock & unlock the vehicles using the key from driver door side (if you have a key fob with no blade key, just lock & unlock using the key fob buttons)

7- Enter the vehicle and attempt to start

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My driver side lock does not work

that is the problem , the drive door lock is important for the arming and disarming

take it out and clean it or replace it

if the driver lock don't work that will trigger it ,unless other system switch went bad again and is triggering it ,were you having intermittent problem before now with it

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I was not having problems before ...they key won't turn in the lock and I don't wanna. Break my key in the lock ...my cars unlocked but it won't start due the the immobilezer cause my car thinks someone broke into it

then the driver lock is the issue if no prior problem exist .

Change the driver door lock, there is no relay or fuse to pull out to stop the alarm , unfortunately