Todd M
Todd M,
Experience:  Technician at Montgomery Motors
97226864

Just verifying 1800 dollar quote to replace timing chain,

Customer Question

Just verifying 1800 dollar quote to replace timing chain, tensioners, Water pump on a 2005 SE-R Altima with 115k on it. These are notably more expensive to replace than same thing on most other cars...
JA: Has the vehicle ever overheated? And when was it last serviced?
Customer: NO
JA: Are you fixing your Altima yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: NO, not this much work...
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I knew it was the tensioner for some time, not bad, just when startinght e car, it goes away after a minute
Category: Nissan
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
guide, chain Rattle goes away after about a minute, when cold, doesn't do it after warmed up hardly at all except a few seconds when starting up.
Expert:  Todd M replied 5 months ago.

Give me a few to check prices for you.

Expert:  Todd M replied 5 months ago.

I'm sorry. How rude of me. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Great,... After reading blogs, I have seen prices of about 2 k or so to replace the guides, chains, and the water pump, (might as well since its there, easy access)... just verifying.
Expert:  Todd M replied 5 months ago.

Do you have a 2.5 or 3.5?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
NO, I just want to verify that 1800 is a good in the ball park estimate.
Expert:  Todd M replied 5 months ago.

I can tell you now though, that I would probably charge the same thing, because i found that, for me, I usually take out the motor for this task. Long story short. Yes, for total job, that's very good.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
O.K. ... I like my Altima Se-R, its just expensive on certain things... some blogger said the G-35 INfiniti guides are higher quality... do not know that ??? I know its basically the same engine.
Expert:  Todd M replied 5 months ago.

I believe the guides are the same grade of quality. Just my opinion.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks for your help, I guess I have now my answer... 1800 is a competitive offer...
Expert:  Todd M replied 5 months ago.

Definitely. Do you have any further questions on this issue? If that will be all and you have found this information helpful, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated. Thank you...

Expert:  Todd M replied 5 months ago.

Just a reminder. If you have found this information helpful, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.