Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

I had a remote starter put in. I went to start it with the

Customer Question

I had a remote starter put in. I went to start it with the remote and nothing happened. I went out to the car and the doors were locked. I tried to unlock with the remote and nothing. I had to use the key, I opened the door and no lights. I went to start it and it was dead.
JA: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the door switches?
Customer: This does not happen all the time
JA: What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: 2007 Murano
JA: Are you fixing your Murano yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Ive just been looking on line. Is it something to do with that they have an Intelli key?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The remote start is brand is Excaliber
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question

How long ago did you have the remote start installed?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
A month
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Are you there?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Are you able to help me?
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

Sorry.. I am here.. I was on a Premium Service call

Did you try to jump start the battery? It sounds like the battery is dead..

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I did and it starts now. But why would it drain the battery. This happemed twice now but the other times it starts ok.
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

Is that the only thing after market installed in your car?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It seems that it has something to do with the intelli key. I was reading the owners manual and it talks about recognizing the key in the ignition?? Yes that is the only thing.
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

The Remote start communicates with the BCM. It may be keeping the BCM on longer than it should which is why the battery is being drained.. Did you try taking it back to the alarm shop to have them check their work?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
why does it work sometimes and not other times?
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

What do you mean? Sometimes and sometimes not?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sometimes I press the start button and it starts just fine. Othertimes I press the start button and I get nothing. Then I go to the car and it locked. I need to use the key to open it. Try to start it with the key and the battery is dead.
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

Depending on how they installed the Remote start, something is staying on which drains the battery. It could be that the alarm control unit is intermittently staying on causing the car to go dead. Either way, I would bring it back to the Alarm shop to have the install checked.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I also noticed that when it does start and I get in the car there are 2 blue lights flashing on the dash. I put the key in and put it in drive. Drive forward and put the brake on and thats when the blue lights stop flashing. What is that about?
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

You are asking about information that is all after market that I have no information on. The blue lights are part of the After Market Alarm and Remote start that they installed. So something they did is most likely causing the battery to drain down. Like leaving the lights on type of affect. Something electrically is staying on electrically. That would need to be checked by the alarm shop who installed it.

Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

If you had no battery issues before the after market remote start was installed, and you are having issues now, after it was installed. The problem has to be something they did, that is causing your issue. That is why I am suggesting to take it back to the installer to have them recheck their work.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!