Matt, Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, worked in auto industry for 22 years on engine, transmission and suspension design
12772297

WHENEVER IT GETS REALLY COLD OUTSIDE AND I DON'T DRIVE IT

Customer Question

WHENEVER IT GETS REALLY COLD OUTSIDE AND I DON'T DRIVE IT FOR A DAY OR TWO, IT WON'T START UNLESS I JUMP IT.
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: THE BATTERY IS GOOD, I RECENTLY GOT A CAR INSPECTION FROM NISSAN WHEN I GOT MY TIRES ROTATED AND AN OIL CHANGE
JA: What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: 2009 ALTIMA, I HAD THIS PROBLEM LESS THAN AN YEAR AGO AND I TOOK IT TO NISSAN AND THEY SAID IT WAS BY BREAK PEDAL PIECE AND I GOT IT FIXED, BUT NOW I SCARED TO TAKE IT BACK TO THEM BECAUSE I DONT THINK THEY KNOW WHAT THE PROBLEM ACTUALLY IS.
JA: Are you fixing your Altima yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: NO I ALWAYS TAKE IT NISSAN TELL THEM THE PROBLEM AND THEY FIX IT.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: MY CAR TURNS ON FINE, LIGHTS COME ON I CAN UNLOCK AND LOCK MY DOOR. I CAN TELL WHEN MY CAR WON'T START BEFORE I GET IN IT IF I PRESS THE LOCK THE DOOR BUTTON AND THE HORN SOUND WILL SOUND LOW.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Matt replied 2 months ago.

Hello

Normal
0
false
false
false
EN-US
X-NONE
X-NONE
MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

If you're sure the battery is OK ( has it been load tested?) 1st check that the main battery cables are on tight and the terminals are clean and bright. Do the same for the engine / gearbox earth strap.
Then follow the main positive lead back to the engine and down to the starter motor, and check the connection at this end as well.

There should also be a small wire to the motor which should have 12V when you're turning the ignition switch to crank. If the 12V isn't there, check back along this wire for damage to the insulation or corroded connections

This 12V feed comes directly from the ignition switch so this may be faulty and need replacing

Check the resistance of the main positive lead that runs down to the motor as anything more than a few ohms and it should be replaced