Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

2003 Nissan maxima gle 3.5 litre cranks and starts butjust

Customer Question

2003 Nissan maxima gle 3.5 litre cranks and starts butjust long enough to immediately die. i had one ofyyalltry tohelp with no luck once in the past and i eventually just changed the ecu and that worked. well timing chain went out so i replaced it. droveit for maybe a month with slight oil leak. didn't think about the oil type once or twice and go ti think sae30 instead of the 10w30 or reversed. sorry I'm tired now and its one way or the other. also ran regular unleaded through it so yes the converters clogged. i pulled the two o2 sensors directly off the headers and the car would run so i cleaned them and replaced the o2 sensors and replaced rear converter. the cr would start and run but would die with a load or in gear. so the codes would sayeverything as it was doing the first time when i replaced ecu. you name it its been replaced or completely gone thru and is testing ok.i have spark, fuel and all cylinder have good pressure. after installinganew engine harness and now another ecu the car starts immediately dies and it burps or i guess a small backfire after it dies.i hear a whistle sound also. so yes it sounds like a vac leak. i thought i found the sound and changed the pcv valve but no luck ther. change rear valve cover and gasket. replaced hoses that looked at possible suspect. changed oil three times since this started and still with no driving, each time oil was dirty from just running at idle while trying to figure out the problem and that's when it would stay idling. wont idle now at all. change transmission fluid when i got a solenoid failure code that's now gone. the other day after going through the wiring again i got a 1001 code which is a short or communication failure from the tcm to the ecu. Nissan says to check grounds so i did and looked fine. i replaced the fitting for the heater coil coming thru the fire wall . i had broke it a while back and did a temporary fix and though maybe it as the vac leak. that was a pain in the ass to do. so with a the dash open by the glove box i checked the wiring and tested every relay and they all were fine. so now that code is gone i only get code 0000 but it wont stay running and dies then burps with a whistle. any ideas? maybe reprogram TCM? oh yeah, also already check all
fuses pulled injector rails and tested all injectors , new fuel filter and check fuel pump
Category: Nissan
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
sorry changed pcv valve thinking it was the whistle
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Do you have a scanner that could monitor fuel trim if we can get the car to start and idle?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No I do not
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No call get for more money I dont have one but getting the car to idle wiz be great.
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

Try unplugging the MAF sensor and see if the car will start and idle for me..

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay give me a minute Jay it's 20 degrees here in Georgia and I need to get in some warm clothes
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

No problem.. Take your time..

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Nope won't crank
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

won't crank.. or it turns over and won't start? Does the engine turn over? or it does not?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Well won't crank means that the starter turns over but the engine doesn't fire and run it does turn over and I could hear it run only for maybe one second before it goes right back into cranking but not starting
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

Do you know if you have any codes now? When you turn the key to the ON position, is the security light on solid?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't know if you read my mind entire description in my question but yes I checked the immobilizer and the ecurity and when the keys turned as it is right now there is no security light blinkingm that's why I had a new ECU installed and have it reprogrammed to make certain it wasn't madYes 0113 when counting the blinks I'd search that says the mass airflow sensor circuit malfunction
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

You only have that code cause I had you try to start the car with the MAF sensor unplugged.

Are you using a scanner on this car or the manual way?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
A standard don't have a blinking light doesn't I'm doing it the manual way where is the Press decelerator pedal 5 times within the first 5 Seconds
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

You are going to need to use a more advanced level scanner to monitor engine signals. The manual way will never help you in this situation.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Go get one of the handheld ones that is OBD2 compatible and that'll help. When I did that it gave me the same codes as this manual method. The car won't run to do any other type of diagnosis
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

What I am looking for is intake timing readings and cam signals..

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My phone battery is dying so I'm trying to find a charger if we lose each other for a little bit I apologize but as of now we just going over everything that I have done already it's sort of explained in my original description so I'm not feeling
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

This is fresh to me, so I may ask to double check certain thing.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
that's cool should I go buy a scanner hook it up a man get back with you so we can get this question answered. I'm talking Harbor Freight hundred scanner obd2
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

You need to buy more than a code reader. There are bluetooth OBD ones that allow you to use your phone that can produce some of the signals I am looking for.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I read about Thursday but I have to be running for any signal to be let out
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sorry yes I've read about those but I understood the car would need to be running now realize this thing is been overhauled some wood salvage parts but only with child support that works after I took off the bad part it's just something I'm missing and I think it's backfiring one side of the rear catalytic converter is when it stoped idlling and I don't get it
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What signals are some of the handheld ones do the OBD2 airbag and read cam I'm out trying to find one right now but I would need to know exactly what you needed to read
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

Did you happen to disable the fuel system and do a compression test?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I didn't I have not ever done one of those I did a cylinder compression on al cylinders and they're all fine if that's what you're talking about I did not do a fuel pressure what I did do it on her the main line and turned the key and it does put gas detectors
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

What is the compression readings you were getting when you did the compression test?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
120 to 130 reading on all 6
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

Those compression readings are to low. The minimum compression is 142 psi and you should not have any more than 10 psi difference per cylinder

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Let me check them again and I'll be right back
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

k

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My bad day everyday is 1:20 to 1:50 and they're closer than 150 Mark I am over halfwaywhere tneyre supposed to be something a little odd happens that's one two three four when I did it the first time I hit 92 122nd and then go on its way so maybe that was it