Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I have over 20 years experience in the automotive service industry.
29534642

My signal light indicators isn't working in the inside or

Customer Question

My signal light indicators isn't working in the inside or outside nor is my hazard lights
JA: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?
Customer: No I don't have a code It was just working this morning
JA: I'll pass this info along to the Nissan Mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: 2002 Nissan Pathfinder
JA: Are you fixing your Pathfinder yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I just checked the fuses and they was fine
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Edward replied 17 days ago.

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

Expert:  Edward replied 17 days ago.

If you turn the turn signal ON, does the light come ON and stay ON, and just not flash, or does the light not come on at all? let us know, thank you.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I just bought a flasher and I'm trying to locate where do I replace it on my 2002 Nissan Pathfinder the parts store said I might need to replace it
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
The light doesn't come on at all nor the hazards
Expert:  Edward replied 17 days ago.

Alright, did you check voltage at fuse 12 7.5 amp fuse by chance?

Expert:  Edward replied 17 days ago.

Usually when the lights won't even come on at all, it's not the flasher, if the flasher is bad, they will usually come on and not blink. But, I suppose it could be the flasher, flasher is a 3 prong small black item usually, and it's tucked under the dash to the left of the steering column. Does your flasher have 3 pins on it?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
it do
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
No I didn't check the voltage I'm working on at home
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
My signal lights was working last night and this morning it just went out a couple of hours ago
Expert:  Edward replied 17 days ago.

Alright, check fuse 12 it's a 7.5 amp fuse. if it's blown you won't have turn signals. That flasher is up under the dash on left hand side of the steering column,

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I checked the fuse and it has all the lines connected I checked while I was at the parts store
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
The fuse don't look burnt out
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Do you have a image of where to look
Expert:  Edward replied 17 days ago.

alright, if the fuse looks good, check fuse 20 as well, it is a 15 amp. Does the hazard switch light up when you push it? does anything happen?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Where is fuse 20
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I'm in the fuse box under the driver side
Expert:  Edward replied 17 days ago.

Check that hazard fuse, 15 amp

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Where is that fuse located
Expert:  Edward replied 17 days ago.

It's the last blue fuse in the row there, looking at your diagram. where it says HAZARD 15 amp.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Looks fine
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Can you see the image
Expert:  Edward replied 17 days ago.

I see that, put one in it if you have another one. just for the fun of it. it looks a bit discolored on the bottom in that picture.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
What side is the flasher located I have the panel cover off
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I didn't buy any fuses
Expert:  Edward replied 17 days ago.

it is to the left of the steering wheel under the dash, and hangs down slightly, it's either black or grey in color if it is the factory one.

Expert:  Edward replied 17 days ago.

it will have 3 wires going to it.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Is the flasher
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Is that the flasher
Expert:  Edward replied 17 days ago.

Has that got 2 or 3 wires going to it? it likes like just 2.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
It's three
Expert:  Edward replied 17 days ago.

OK, I believe that is it, just leave it up there for now, push the tab on that connector and disconnect the flasher, plug yours in and see if it fixes it.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
It still doesn't work
Expert:  Edward replied 17 days ago.

Alright, note that BROWN/WHITE wire comes directly from the 7.5 amp fuse, and goes into the hazard switch and is supposed to come out of the hazard switch and go directly to the flasher. Here is the wiring diagram you can trace the circuit with. What I want to do, is see if you have power on the BROWN/WHITE wire at that flasher with the key ON. Can you check that with a volt meter or test light?

Expert:  Edward replied 17 days ago.

if you push the hazard switch, does the switch even light up?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
No the switch doesn't light up
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I don't have either a vault reader or tester
Expert:  Edward replied 17 days ago.

Alright, you could try another hazard switch, but I would first make sure you had power to the 7.5 amp fuse that supplies power to the BROWN/WHITE wire at that flasher, if you look at that diagram you can see that the BROWN/WHITE wire comes through the fuse to the hazard switch, through the hazard switch and to flasher to the turn signal switch and to the bulbs. You'll have to trace the circuit to make sure you have power through the hazard switch with a test light or volt meter. I believe it's probably going to wind up being a faulty hazard switch. But the circuit will have to be traced with a tester to be 100% sure. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you.