Todd M
Todd M,
Experience:  Technician at Montgomery Motors
97226864

I have a 2011 Nissan Cube and it turns on and idles fine but

Customer Question

I have a 2011 Nissan Cube and it turns on and idles fine but when you press the gas pedal it doesn't increase in RPMs. It acts the same in Park Drive or neutral.
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: Yes it starts the same as usual, and I wouldn't know if it's a gas hog, because you can't drive it, it just starts and idles.
JA: Are you fixing your Cube yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'm an auto technician and I don't have access to a shop cancel. My thought is that it's the accelerator pedal or the throttle body. I was hoping you'd be able to tell me though lol.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that's all, thanks.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Todd M replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. It sounds like you are having issues with your pedal position sensor or the throttle position sensor. Have you checked the fuses or has anyone tested these?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No
Expert:  Todd M replied 1 month ago.

Is there a check engine light on? If so, you should check the trouble codes. I have ran into so many throttle and pedal position sensor issues that I can almost guarantee you a code for one/both of these issues. You would have to test them to know which one for sure. It's usually the pedal position sensor.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
They all checked good
Expert:  Todd M replied 1 month ago.

So you've tested both and they are good and you have no trouble codes?

Expert:  Todd M replied 1 month ago.

Give me a few to look at the system, please.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It's weird, there is no check engine light on.
Expert:  Todd M replied 1 month ago.

I know this is left field, but did you check the transmission fluid?

Expert:  Todd M replied 1 month ago.

Since there is no light, that could be an issue. I checking for any service bulletins now.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I didn't. But, I can sit there in all gears, including Park and neutral, and just floor it and the RPM's just sit at regular idle.
Expert:  Todd M replied 1 month ago.

I would test the connectors for the pedal and throttle sensors. Check the transmission fluid also. I may be empty or low. This is the only bulletin for your issue attached...

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay will check it and get back to you. Does it sound like the pedal position sensor or the electrical part on the throttle body to you though?
Expert:  Todd M replied 1 month ago.

Yes it does. Those or the transmission. I hope you get this issue solved.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok thanks
Expert:  Todd M replied 1 month ago.

No problem. My pleasure. If you have found this information helpful, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hey one more question, if I replace that pedal with the sensor do you know if that has to be programmed to the car?
Expert:  Todd M replied 1 month ago.

Let me check, but i doubt it on this vehicle. Give me a few.

Expert:  Todd M replied 1 month ago.

No you do not. Should be just plug and play.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Got it thanks
Expert:  Todd M replied 1 month ago.

I'm glad. I hope you get your issue taken care of. Have a great day.

Expert:  Todd M replied 1 month ago.

Just a reminder, If you have found this information helpful, a positive rating would be great.