Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

My sunroof tilts up and down but doesn't open, 2004 Nissan

Customer Question

Hi. My sunroof tilts up and down but doesn't open
JA: What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: 2004 Nissan armada
JA: Are you fixing your Armada yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I tried holding the button closed for 5 seconds and then pushing open
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That is all
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 16 days ago.

Hey there, thanks for the question. My name is Jake.

Expert:  Jake replied 16 days ago.

Before anything else is said. Have you inspected the sunroof tract to make sure there are no debris? because any debris in the track will stop operation from the anti-pinch motor.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I didn't see anything
Expert:  Jake replied 16 days ago.

MEMORY RESET PROCEDURE If the battery is disconnected, or the sunroof motor harness connector is disconnected, the slide switch will become inoperable and the sunroof motor memory must be reset. To reset the sunroof motor memory from any sunroof position (full open, partially open, closed, partially vented, and vented), push and hold the sunroof tilt switch in the forward (DOWN) position until the sunroof is fully closed. After it has closed all the way, push and hold the tilt switch forward (DOWN) for more than 2 seconds to re-establish the motor preset position. The sunroof should then operate normally.

Expert:  Jake replied 16 days ago.

Are you trying it now?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Still nothing. It opens slightly or tilts up and down, but that's it
Expert:  Jake replied 16 days ago.

do you have a volt meter to see if the slide switch is working?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
No
Expert:  Jake replied 15 days ago.
Well there is not really any other way to verify 100% exactly why it won't slide IF you performed the memory reset properly, unless we use a voltmeter to verify the switch is working and the motor also attempting to operate the slide function.For what it's worth, if you had no previous tracking issues I would assume the frame is fine, I would bet the problem is related to either the switch or the motor itself. The motor actually has an Allen wrench manual operation that will allow you to manually turn it by hand to get it fully open or closed in the meantime if it's stuck open in anyway.If you need further assistance just ask and I will be happy to help. If not please be sure to leave me a kind rating so the site credits me for my time.Thanks.