Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

I have a 2001 maxima that doesn't accelerate won't go past

Customer Question

I have a 2001 maxima that doesn't accelerate won't go past 10 or 15 mph with high revolution . it sounds smooth and great at idle but if I press the pedal it bogs down and won't go over 1500 or 2000 rpm . I have code p0340, p1336, p0505 .
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 16 days ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

If you have a P0505 code, you need to remove and replace the IAC and Ecm both at the same time to resolve your issue. Then if you have any other codes, then you would then diagnose the other codes.

The reason why you don't worry about any other codes is cause the IAC ( idle air control ) damages the Ecm. The IAC has coolant going around the chamber to cool it. So there is a gasket for the IAC. ( Idle Air Control ). When this gasket fails, coolant seeps onto the IAC motors and shorts them out. When this happens your Idle will raise, be irratic, the car won't start and do all sorts of idle type issues, then it will get into running issues. But also, at this point when the IAC gets shorted, it also damages the ECM where it would control the IAC. So if you were to replace the IAC, the Ecm since that circuit is damaged, will damage the new IAC. So what needs to be done to correct this, is to replace the IAC and the ECM both at the same time. Other wise you will never get a head of the issue. Then you will need to reprogram all your keys for your car and have a Idle relearn performed.

I made a video on this. It's 6 parts cause back when I made them I could not upload a long enough video. See link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLK48DtDM1g

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have

provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
That's the first thing I changed and got the computer "remanufactured" but I still have that code and I also bought new cam and both crank sensors (pos) and (ref) I just rescanned it and now I also have the code p1320
Expert:  Jay replied 16 days ago.

If you have a P0505 code still, something is wrong with the IAC or the Ecm and both need to be replaced.

The P1320 is a ignition primary code. That normally requires all 6 coils to be replaced.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Ok and what can you tell me about the p0340 and p1336 ? And what's that bogging sound that pops when I accelerate at idle or even on drive that sounds like the car wants to die and won't idle over 1500 ?
Expert:  Jay replied 16 days ago.

I disregard any codes until I get the P0505 code resolved.