Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified since 1985
20625509

Did you get a question from me (Butch) Johnny Fritze last

Customer Question

Did you get a question from me (Butch) Johnny Fritze last night concerning a 2002 Nissan Altima?
JA: Are you fixing your Altima yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: First things first! I'm not going to pay two different people for the sam e question! Did you get a question from me last night, please
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'm sorry. I THOUGHT You were the mechanic! Do you have a record of my question? If not, can you tell me how to find it to see if it's already been answered?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

If you have more questions on the original topic of your question, please return to the original question. If not, and the question you have is different than the original one, there was no question posted last night to this account. So it did not get processed.

See this link for your original question.

http://professional.justanswer.com/chat/index/f5b5cc5ad0534eff9db168ac0dc0e51a

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I've clicked on that link you sent me at least half a dozen times starting yesterday, and it's saying that I am "denied access"! What should I do now? I'd like to read the original question because it was detailed and I didn't copy it down anywhere!
Thank you,
Butch
Expert:  Jay replied 1 month ago.

You have to make sure you logged into JustAnswer for the link to work.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I AM logged in and have been everytime I've tried to open that link! Should I just ask you the question again? I NEED to get this thing running by.....like YESTERDAY!
Thank you,
Butch
Expert:  Jay replied 1 month ago.

I will not be online till later this evening. Do you want me to open this question up for someone else to help you? or do you want to wait till I am online later this evening around 7 pm EST?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
If you got time right now, I could ask you the question. I really don't think it's a big problem. If not, open it up.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

You have no other question under this screenname besides this one since 11/29/2016 and that was about a Nissan.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry, there was a problem posting the question. I thought I'd posted it last night. I will repost it in a few minutes.
Butch
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

ok

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry it took so long! Im not a fast typist, and it seems I wrote a book! I thought I had my question saved but I couldn't find it
Anyway, I have a 2002 Nissan Altima. The head gasket blew. I am 65 years old and can't work on these car like I could, but I have a buddy that mechanically inclined. So, he tore it down, I got a gasket set and a refurbished head. We got it all back together. At first we had no fire to the ignition coils. I put a code reader on it and we ended up putting four new Ignition Coils on it. Now, when we had it torn down and saw how bad the head was, we ended up getting another one that was resurfaced. We checked the block the way we did it back in the old days. That is, we got a straight edge, went out when it got dark, we run the straight edge over the block, with a flashlight on one side pointed at where the straight edge and the block met. If you could see light between the straight edge and the block on the opposite side from the flashlight, you knew you had possibility of another blowout when you put it back together. We had ONE such place between two cylinders that had the smallest of dips in it. I mean you couldn't get your fingernail under the straght edge. There was no way I could afford to have the block resurfaced, so our plan was to put it back together and then to put liquid glass in it. I had several friends of mine who had used the stuff on their vehicles, and had much worse leaks than mine, that the liquid glass had fixed beautifully. We made one mistake though, after we did that. We drove it down the road for a total of maybe 3 miles. Sure enough, it blew again! NOW, when we would get it back together the SECOND time, and got it running, we would start putting liquid glass in when the motor warmed up and do EXACTLY as the directions told us to do it.As they say: "the best made plans of mice and men, etc." Again, no fire. Took us a while,. even with the scanning device, but believe it or not the timing chain had BROKE! we have no idea when. When we went on the test drive the first time? Or after we had it all back together and trying to start it! It took a while to find that one! I mean, at least for us, that was the LAST thing you would expect!OK. we got a new timing chain kit and did what we had to do to where we are RIGHT NOW! It's all back together. Everything seems to be right. Yeah right! No fire AGAIN! We plugged the Scanning Device into the car's receptacle and nothing! The Device didn't show anything on the screen. I got on the internet and it told me to check "Pins number 16(Hot Wire), and Pins Number 4 and 5(Ground), on the cars receptacle. I did and they were working properly! The Scanning Device still acted dead. I went and bought a new one. Same thing-Dead! I then took the Scanning Devices and hooked them straight to the battery and they both were working fine! Of course they didn't give us any data, but they worked. We quit for the evening. Next morning, we went to try again to figure out what the hell was happening! We plugged in the Scanning Device, not expecting anything g, but now it seemed to be working great! I have no idea why. The only thing I can come up with is that somehow when I was playing with it, that somehow it reset something! And guess what, we had fire to the Ignition Coils! You'd think we would have it made. But Hell No"! We hooked up the Scanning Device and it gave us "Codes" for the Throttle Body! We hadn't touched that, and nothing had changed from when iot had been running and NOT running, except for changing the head Gasket! We know it's not getting gas. It doesn't even spit or even make an attempt to fir! Hell, for all we know , the fuel pumps out!That is where we are now. Two guys pulling their hair off their heads, and a car not running. I'm sorry for writing almost a whole book to describe "What we've done so far", but I couldn't find any other starting point except at the "beginning"! Butch
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

What engine is this?

What were the trouble codes?

Can you hear the fuel pump run for the first few seconds the key is turned to run?

Does the check engine light come on when the key is first turned to run, then go out after bulb check (10 seconds or so)?

Is there any security light on or flashing?

Will the engine start briefly using starting fluid?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

In between which 2 cylinders is that block surface warped and did you ever check the engine compression on those 2 cylinders and if so what were they?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
If you are looking at the motor from the front of car, looking to the back of the car, it's the two on the left side- the passenger side. Yes, we checked the pressure after we replaced the first head gasket and again after we replaced it a second time. Both times it had good pressure on all four cylinders. I checked the book on what the pressure should be. I don't remember the numbers, but as I said, the book said the numbers were good.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

What engine is this?

What were the trouble codes?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

Do you still want help with this or not? Should I close it out?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No! I'm sorry but I live in Oklahoma and we had a foot of snow night before last. Temperatures were in the teens . I had to move my mobile home about a month ago and I wasn't ready for the cold. My water froze up and I've been fixing water leaks, patching floors, etc. The car is, of course, outside!I will answer your questions as best I can. I haven't been able to talk to my mechanic friend who is, for the most part, doing the job.What engine is this? 2.5What were the trouble codes? I don't know for sure but it had to do with the THROTTLE BODY- Cleaning, I believe. Although, that doesn't make sense because the first time we changed the head gasket, the only thing that came up was the IGNITION COILS being bad. We only drove it once for about four miles before we blew the second gasket.
we
Can you hear the fuel pump run for the first few seconds the key is turned to run? Both of us are pretty sure we hear it for a few seconds. I was wondering how we could check it. On the older ones, all I did was take the fuel line loose up by the motor to see if the fuel pump was working.Does the check engine light come on when the key is first turned to run, then go out after bulb check (10 seconds or so)? It comes on but I'm not sure whether it goes out after 10 seconds. I will have to talk to my mechanic friend tomorrow to see what he says.Is there any security light on or flashing? About a year ago my alarm system went crazy. I took it to the Nissan place and they said they would put it on the diagnostic machine which would cost me $250 up front and that wouldn't tell them everything they needed to know! So, after that, it would cost me $80 an hour! Couldn't afford it, so I unhooked the horn, but occasionally the lights would blink off and on for about 12 seconds. I think that I saw them blink off and on once when trying to start it.Will the engine start briefly using starting fluid? Definitely NO!
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

If the engine won't even start on starting fluid then chances are the ignition is not providing a spark or the spark plugs are gas fouled.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Well, for one thing, I've always heard that using starter fluid could hurt your engine, and another thing is that I'm not sure where to put the starter fluid for the best results. In other words, I didn't use very much.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

using too much could wash the motor oil off the cylinder wall, si just use like 2-3 small shots right into the throttle body,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok. I'll do that, but like I said earkier, my car is outside and we hav about a foot of snow on the ground. Temperaturehave been in the single digits! My water lines in my mobile hom are froze solid! I've been fixing waterlines for about a week now. It's supposed to warm up later this week. I'm sorry it's taking so long for me to respond to your questions. I'm 65 years old and worked in construction all my life. I've broken both legs, both arms, ribs, had both knees replaced. The doctors want to operate on my back in two different place. In other words it is probably going to be the end of this week before I'll get to work ou tside. This situation has never come upbefore, so I dont knf
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

that;s fine