Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

1998 nissan sentra. I have no tail lights, brake lights, or

Customer Question

1998 nissan sentra. I have no tail lights, brake lights, or head lights. Dash warning lights sometimes come on. When I turn key to on position relay above inside fuse panel clicks several times. If I turn headlight switch on nothing electrical happens. No dash warning lights and no relay clicks. Battery is fully charged and load tested. New starter put on. All fuses good
JA: Have you checked the bulbs? Have you checked the connection?
Customer: yes
JA: Are you fixing your Sentra yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Stated earlier
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your input to my questions so I can help you better. I read your question and notes what is happening and have a question before we start. Does your vehicle have (DRL) daytime running lights? Does the high beam lights work at all?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No DRL. Headlights don't work at all. If I turn headlight switch on nothing happens when I turn key in any position

Ok there should be two headlight relays under the hood in the main fuse block. Do you have a test light or multi meter?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have tested relays and they show to be good. But those shouldn't effect the brake lights or tail lights I wouldn't think. And they shouldn't effect starter or dash warning lights I wouldn't think. I have tested every fuse I could find and most relays.

No no I'm not doubting the relays them selves but a starting point for our diagnosing. Do you have a test light or multi meter?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Test light and multimeter

Excellent, now remove the two headlight relays and check for power, there should be one pin with constant power and one only with key on and light switch on. Also did you check all fuses under dash in that fuse block. Let me know these results.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
All fuses under dash good. No relays for headlights under hood. Tested relay plugs under dash. Constant power pins would dim when I turned the key on and go out completely when I turned headlight switch on. No other pins would go hot.

Aw thanks for that info , then you have a switching problem. sounds like shorting out.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Just tested voltage on ignition switch. Just over 12 volts on the constant. When I turn the key on it drops to about 6. When in the crank position wire going to starter is only about 4 volts. When cycling through key positions all other points are between 4 and 6 volts. Should they be putting out 12 volts or is this normal

Thanx for that info ,I suspect the battery is not holding enough reserve power, do a proper load test on that battery first, use a carbon Pyle tester for an accurate reading. The reserve power while cranking should be no lower then 9.5 to 10 v

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Had battery load tested at parts store. Tested good.

Then the starter circuit is drawing too much as the reserve is too low. Question how old is the battery and did they check it with a carbon testor or one of those quick electronic testers?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Battery is 1 1/2 years old. Not sure the kind of tester they used. I put a different battery on and have the same problem. I pulled the starter and bench tested it. Seemed to be fine.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Wondering if the ecm or ignition switch would effect headlights and brake lights.

Bench testing does not tell the draw it is applying to that battery. Not likely the ign switch will effect the brake lights as you can activate them when car is not running it is a separate circuit.

Expert:  Jay replied 3 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

If you put jumper cables to the battery, does the head lights turn on?