Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles
45790705

My dashboard check engine light is on and the thermostat

Customer Question

My dashboard check engine light is on and the thermostat reads my engine is cold. My car has been having a hard time starting and now it won't start.
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: It came on a week ago and has stayed on. I went to O'Reilly's yesterday to get a code. They suggested buying new hose clamps for a possible radiator hose leak
JA: What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: 2006
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I was about to replace the bottom hose's clamp but the old one seem fine. It wasn't loose nor did i see any sign of coolant leeks around the bottom hose
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The problem started as soon as we started receiving cold weather
Category: Nissan
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

hey how are you

have you scanned it & retrieve fault code at oreilly ,what were they

There is an ECT engine coolant temperature sensor could bre bad ,telling computer wrong temp ,make it hard to start.

would you say it starts better when it warms up ?

what model nissan?

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The car is way better when it's warmed up. I have a 2006nissan Altima. At oreilys, their computer (for some random reason) didn't give a code but gaves suggestions/solutions like faulty ECT sensor, faulty hose, faulty hose clamp... Etc. If the ECT sensor went bad would my car thermostat always read that my engine is cold. Yesterday when I was driving it read cold and after I drove for about 6 minutes it was normal. Is this a hint that the ECT sensor just need to be replaced

YES SIR Change THE ECT SENSOR first and retest it is a common failure on them

Oreily should have it in stock

Good luck with it

happy Holidays

Please let me know if you need anything else on it, just reply back and we will continue

If you are good, Please Kindly Rate Me.

A 5 Star Rating is much Appreciated

If you feel I have not been helpful Please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POOR (1 or 2 stars) ,You can always ask me again or I can opt out of your question & open it for another expert ,that will provide you with more or better assistance on this issue

Please keep in mind that when you rate me , it does not end our conversation.

you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue

(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)

Thank You
Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I replaced the ect sensor and it still won't start. My last guess is that my car has been burning gas when I've been trying to start it up so maybe it just needs some gas.

well if you are using way more gas ,or burning more gas

1-you need to check fuel injector if one or more leaking down it will cause no start since fuel pressure can build up enough

2-check the fuel pressure to : should 55 psi

3- replace fuel filter

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat