Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

My battery died a friend was gonna jumpstart me but I needed

Customer Question

My battery died a friend was gonna jumpstart me but I needed to roll backwards so I put the key in to shift to neutral but not only will it not shift to neutral but now the key is locked in the ignition and won't turn all the way back to lock position
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: No steering wheel locked I just bought the car key doesn't seem bad
JA: What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: 2002 Nissan maxima
JA: Are you fixing your Maxima yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing I had to borrow a friend's car to get to work let my car home looking for ideas to try in the morning
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Don't think so
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Chris(aka-Moose) replied 14 days ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner till early morning.

A dead battery or one really weak can cause both issues with the shifter and ignition lock. Not enough power can prevent the shift lock and ignition lock from energizing. I can help you get it into neutral if you still want to roll it back. A jump or charge or battery replacement should resolve the 2 mentioned concerns.

Please read this:

1. Understand it's not one answer and done. We can communicate back and forth many times.
  2. I do not work at or for Just Answer. You and I can only communicate on this page.
  3. When you're pleased or happy with my answer or efforts to help you. At the top of the screen please rate me or reply and say ( I'm pleased.)
  4. When I help you I am only paid from your question value deposit when you rate me on this screen. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to follow up.

Thanks for using Just Answer, Chris