Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

My 2009 nissan murano will not start simply pulled in the

Customer Question

my 2009 nissan murano will not start simply pulled in the drive way shut it off and would not start after that it tried once or twice and that was it you can turn the ignition on the fans and everything comes on but the starter will not activate but the you can cross over the starter outside the car and it wroks just fine turns the motor over but stilll no start and the brake switch i assume is good cause the brake lights are working when you mash the peddle
JA: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?
Customer: why would that have anything to do with it.
JA: Are you fixing your Murano yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes and i am a mechanic but this one has me puzzled
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: thats about it
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 10 days ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

So I understand this, the engine turns over but does not start, correct?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Not by the push button the only way it turns over is if you cross the starter over on the engine other than that way all you get when you get in the car and push the button to start it everything comes on but the engine does nothing.
Expert:  Jay replied 10 days ago.

Oh... Ok... Can you go check and let me know if the Steering wheel is locked?

Expert:  Jay replied 10 days ago.

Does that lock and unlock when you press the start button?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Yeah it does lock and unlock correctly did check that and also checked the brake switch and correct me if I'm wrong but the brake lights came on so it's good right
Expert:  Jay replied 10 days ago.

I am thinking the car may not see it's in park. Did you try to see if it would start in neutral?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I've also tried that I'm puzzled cause like I say it notices the key fob and and everything works.
Expert:  Jay replied 10 days ago.

do you have a scanner? I would like to see if there are any codes and see what the transmission see's as the shifter position?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Yeah I have scanned it there's nothing shows on it I took it to Nissan to have it scanned and nothing for them either
Expert:  Jay replied 10 days ago.

Try this for the heck of it. Don't know if you did this...

Disconnect the negative battery cable for 15 mins and then connect it and see if the issue is the same?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I've also done that it don't even sound to me like the fuel pumps kicking in when I turn the ignition on could it be something with the ecm.
Expert:  Jay replied 10 days ago.

You said the Engine does not turn over on it's own correct?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Yeah correct.
Expert:  Jay replied 10 days ago.

Well there are 3 control units we would need to check to try to isolate the issue.

First is the TCM. See if the signal from the TCM ( Transmission control module ) is sending the signal to the IPDM for the IPDM to allow the starter to engage.

How handy are you?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Pretty handy I'm a mechanic also but don't know if I've got the diagnosis tools to check that is there any way manual to do so from your experience some way that would pin point one problem.
Expert:  Jay replied 10 days ago.

I would like to work with a volt meter and simply doing some back probing..

Expert:  Jay replied 10 days ago.

Oh, when you turn the ignition to the ON position, the security light is not solid is it?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Correct no security light
Expert:  Jay replied 10 days ago.

That is the wiring diagram for the starter system..

Expert:  Jay replied 10 days ago.

Pin 72 at the IPDM. I would like to see what voltage you have there when the key is in the ON position and OFF

Expert:  Jay replied 10 days ago.

Can you follow that wiring diagram I shared with you?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Ok yeah I can follow that is that to the pcm and what voltage should it read
Expert:  Jay replied 10 days ago.

The IPDM!! That is the fuse type control box under the hood.

Expert:  Jay replied 10 days ago.

You should see 12 volts on pin 72 if the key is ON when the car is in Park or Neutral

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Ok great thanks I will check it tomorrow and if there's not what should I do from there
Expert:  Jay replied 10 days ago.

If there is no voltage, then you have a issue with the TCM. If you do have voltage, let me know and we can move forward to try to determine what is going on.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Ok once again thanks and I will see what we've got there.
Expert:  Jay replied 10 days ago.

You got it. Have a good night